Register Now
Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Opinions Please. Could this be Prince Albert

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Attach files:

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kmurban Posted - Jan 04 2018 : 17:05:43
Hello, Ive come across something interesting, I would like your opinion if this artist could possibly be HRH Prince Albert Consort.

I am going to give some information and would like you to do some research to see if yo think this is possible. He and Victoria were both Amature artists and did do oil paintings and engravings. Is it possible no one ever put the connection together.

Franz August Albert 1819-1862 Also Listed as Franz Albert 19thc.

http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/19952/franz-august-albert.html

Ill also include this as a starter

The first two images are the signatures of those on the oil paintings and the last two are his actual handwriting. Notice Periods and lines where appropriate and styles of written letters, but keep a open mind as painting a signature is much different than writing it.

https://gw.geneanet.org/darbois?lang=en&n=von+sachsen+coburg+und+gotha&p=albert+franz+august+karl+emanuel

Lastly, The dates listed on findart are 1819 - 1862 He did die in 1861 but he was buried the last week of December 1861 so quite possible. See if you can find some of his work and handwriting examples and see if you think this painted signature could be of his hand.

Opinions please. Yes, No, Maybe, Not a chance in He**

Thanks for looking...

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kmurban Posted - Jan 12 2018 : 17:31:46
Yes, They are both identical signatures for both listings, same as mine. I think I will send a email to contactfindartinfo and see what they have to say if anything. I know Im probably beating my head against the wall, but it dosent hurt yet...
Vietato Posted - Jan 12 2018 : 17:06:26
Your painting seems to be by the same artist as the one sold by Ruetten in Germany. How do the signatures compare?

You should ask FindArtInfo about the Franz August Albert (1819-1862) entry.
http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/19952/franz-august-albert.html

Regards,
Vietato

kmurban Posted - Jan 12 2018 : 16:45:53
So. I still cant leave it alone. I got the painting and it is clearly c.1850 on oak panel with a beveled edge and heavy patina. So im not sure how the other listing could be 20th c. Perhaps two completely different artists ? Is there any way to find out more information about how the Franz August Albert listing came to be ? and why its not listed anywhere else ?
kmurban Posted - Jan 05 2018 : 09:40:05
I do not have one in my possession, but have access to one.

I like to collect things of the past that belonged to the ruling class. I have a few pieces of silver that belonged to the Curwen Family

Also Registered Belted Galloway Cattle that come from bloodlines that belonged to Lord Carnarvan.

Among other things, So it has much broad appeal to me.

Interesting though that you do indeed believe the “Franz August Albert 1819-1862” entry could possibly be a attribution to the prince.

So if it could be determined that the painting in question is indeed c.1850-1860 and not 20th c.
it could then also be attributed to the prince ?

One thing I find interesting is the Albert/Victoria painting was a gift, as I believe the Franz Albert paintings were gifts as well. but only based on the idea that one is in Germany and the other in Israel as he was half German/Jewish. This would be quite a coincidence.

I attatched a picture of the painting and the back in my attatchments of the first post. It seems to have quite a bit of age, but without it in my hand its difficult to tell if has been artificially darkened. It is on a thick wood board. so im told.

The frame may be 20th c. But I don't know about the painting.

I appreciate you speculating on this with me, I know that's all it will likely ever be, but even if there is the slightest chance, I still think that's really cool.
Vietato Posted - Jan 05 2018 : 08:30:27
I’m not sure why you find the subject interesting if you don’t have a painting signed this way in your possession - but my conclusion is that it is not the signature of Prince Albert:

1. The Franz Albert without data is not 19th century but 20th century (1900 -
http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/356121/franz-albert.html

This is the painting:
http://www.auktion-ruetten.de/de/albert_franz/l/224345?aid=40500&lstatus=0&Accid=2¤tpos=2

I have attached a magnification of the signature from this painting, and even if it’s very blurred you can see that it matches your first signature photo.

2. Your signature photo from the “Franz August Albert 1819-1862” entry is clearly by the same hand, so if we agree that the above painting is not mid-19th century, it is not by Prince Albert.

The entry does not have any auction result along with the signature, so there is no way of knowing where it comes from. It could have been a “suggestive” attribution to the prince.

Here is a (joint it seems) painting by Albert and Victoria after Philipp von Foltz:
https://auctions.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=338++++++208+&refno=++145651&image=0

It does not seem to be signed.

Regards,
Vietato

Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page