Password

Register Now
Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 o/c, 1931, can you read the Paris expo stamp pls?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Attach files:

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cyril Posted - May 13 2018 : 14:46:11
Hello,

I have had this painting for quite a while. It is oil on canvas by Ronald Oudot (French, 1897-1981), dated 1931. Size of 15.25 x 18.25 inches, unframed. The verso bears a stamp that I have a hard time to read in full. Hopefully somebody will be able to tell me where this painting had been exhibited ..... The top word I am guessing says "Square" (but quite blurry), bottom is obvious - "Centrale". Middle reads "Expo ......, Paris" but I can not quite capture it in full. When I googled for "Square Centrale in Paris" I did not get any matches, though .... Could that be an old place that had been renamed since then ...??? If you are able to get more info on that exhibition please let me know what year it was held in ....

Thank you kindly,
Cyril.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
redsoxski Posted - May 15 2018 : 19:19:04
I have a painting by Robert Wehrlin with the same stamp on the reverse, indeed reading “Douane Exportation Centrale, Paris”.
Vietato Posted - May 13 2018 : 17:07:55
It could be just due to exportation laws for art at an earlier time, so that all artworks would have to have that stamp in order to be sold and exported to a foreign country. Italy have such restrictions today, although I think they use only paperwork, not stamps.

But it shows up in many cases concerning art which was expropriated by the Nazis, so maybe the stamp was issued by an office set up for this purpose during World War II - I don't know!

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this: Art Talk - Under The Surface
cyril Posted - May 13 2018 : 16:40:42
Thank you Vietato!
I would have never guessed it was related to Customs Clearance .....
by the way, what would that mean for the painting - that it was leaving France at one point and got stamped at Customs ...? I am assuming not every piece of art crossing the Customs gets stamp like this ...? or was it travelling on a special occasion maybe - to foreign expo or on a loan from the foreign museum maybe...?? Just curious .....
Thank you.
Cyril.
Vietato Posted - May 13 2018 : 15:03:14
I think it reads “Douane Exportation Centrale, Paris”, i.e. Customs Exportation Central, Paris.

I got it from a painting here with the same stamp:
http://www.taskforce-kunstfund.de/fileadmin/object_records_excerpts%20/Michel_ORE_2016-01-08_478397.pdf

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this: Art Talk - Under The Surface

Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page