Register Now
Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 18th CENTURY PENCIL DRAWING? HELP PLS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Attach files:

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jhomejimbo Posted - Jun 28 2019 : 23:18:52
This is an original pencil (or light ink) drawing.
It is about 6" x 8". The back is wood, but I don't believe it is affixed to the wood.
I've owned this drawing for fifty years, and I've always wanted to know more about it. I see no obvious signature. That doesn't mean that it's not there.
Maybe one of our members might recognize the style, the date, or, possibly find a signature.
Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Best regards,
Jimmy N
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhomejimbo Posted - Jun 29 2019 : 17:48:52
Arb,,

I see that the style could be "Laurencin", but for the eyes - I see, possibly, a "Tiepolo" influence. The eyes, in Tiepolo drawings, are very similar, to me.

I am including some new pics. I took off the wooden backing. The original drawing is not glued to the wood, but is attached to a cream colored card, with no writing.

The wood which backs this drawing (see photograph), has the number, 738, written twice on it (once, large in the center, in white - also on the strip of tape at the bottom).
I'm assuming it could be an auction lot number.

This drawing had also had a picture light, because of the placement of the two screws at the top.

I guess, maybe opening up the back should have been done years ago. I would have liked a bit more information on it, though. Judging by the browning of the cream board backing, there seems to be quite a bit if age.

I appreciate your help, arb.

If anyone has any input, no matter how small it might seem, please feel free to comment. This is how we learn.

Regards,
Jimmy N

jhomejimbo Posted - Jun 29 2019 : 16:30:58
Thanks, arb,

When I began collecting, years ago, I wasn't aware of mediums and framing, or how important the reverse could be, in diagnosing painting history. Many of my paintings were bought when I knew very little. There are so many items to go through, I will never be able to research them, in my lifetime.

I will immediately take the panel off the back, to see what I can discover.
I always appreciate your input. It is very helpful.
Thanks, again, for your quick response..

Best regards,
Jimmy N
arb Posted - Jun 29 2019 : 11:24:10
Fifty years not knowing if it is glued to the wood or not? It would not last unopened more than 5 minutes here...

My impression is that of a copy, in a technique alien to the original. It is very decorative, if not honeysweet, idyllic but not of an idyllic period...

I once overheard an old art dealer (Christie's Amsterdam manager at the time) tell his son in depicted people to always look at their hands first. A face may attract and fool you, he said: "but the fingers should be like brothers and sisters, similar but different in their family unity and certainly not (he pointed at a painting) like a bunch of carrots".

I have seen a lot of carrots since then, among them some that were the exception to the rule. But the rule no doubt saved me a lot of money...

These eyes have a hint of Marie Laurencin, who was essentially an illustrator - an illustrator who sometimes fetches hundreds of thousand at auction though....

Just my 2 cents...

Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page