Any thoughts on this oil painting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  18:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I found this recently, it is unsigned (I unmounted it to see if there were any clues).. A friend of mine said it looks a bit "Ce'zanne" like but without the depth of imagination of his other works and probably lack of technique as well (I am still a beginner at all this)..

In any case, I thought I would post it here since I have been sharing things here for years and there always seems to be provocative advice and opinions. :)

Thanks for looking.. I appreciate any help at all.

Doug Colosio

ATTACHMENTS:
image001.jpg
image005.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
image012.jpg

arb

Netherlands
750 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  09:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a beauty. Finding it would make my day. And hanging in a museum as a Cézanne, it could have fooled me. I know that particular fat mold lettering '85' specifically from French canvases. The same goes for the pigments of the paint. And I'd say, whoever made it, was probably French. And a good artist. Hope Hercule agrees.

Edited by - arb on Apr 24 2016 09:44:17
Go to Top of Page

Merray
Gold Member

Canada
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  12:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great painting, no doubt about that. A bit short on the aging though to be by Cezanne I think, it looks to me more like from circa 1940's..., but that could be just me - very subjective, based only on own experience.

www.artmarketspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you arb and Merray..The light in my pictures, kind of washes out the canvas and makes it appear lighter than it really looks. The surface of the painting has dulled, and the colors really come out with a lot of light.
I will take a close up of the actual canvas and add it so you can look at the fibers a bit closer Merray.
Thanks for the help Arb and Merray.... I do love this one! It is hanging above my pseudo fireplace for now. :)

Edited by - dcolosio on Apr 25 2016 05:47:42
Go to Top of Page

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  09:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a close up of the canvas and the stamped number on the stretcher..

ATTACHMENTS:
image001.jpg
image002.jpg
Go to Top of Page

bluemlein

857 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  15:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to be a bit of a stick but it has a pastiche quality to me - compositionally, why would one stack books and apples and a couple of masks with a great void on the right and what appears to have been overpainted on the left?

Doug, the best way to educate your eye is to look. If you buy a painting because it speaks to you - does it matter who painted it? that being the case, then it should matter only that the painting is meaningful and attractive to you.

If - like some members of this forum - you buy willy-nilly, hoping to find something, you will end up with a variety of ho-hum works, with perhaps a good one, almost by chance.

Can't give you any ideas on the painter other than that while he has command of the brush he may not have much imagination - a common enough situation.
Go to Top of Page

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  17:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was also the first opinion of my friend who is an art professional in New York. I am really simply curious about it because of the apparent age and style or imitation of style.
Those are some very good points, and I must admit they have also crossed my mind and perhaps it is part or all of the reason this painting was not signed?
I do like it , or most of it well enough to hang in the living room. :)

Thank you for looking at it and these statements are well received bluemlein.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
750 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  02:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unsigned work should not surprise us too much. Oils took, depending on climate, weather and heating budget about half a year to dry, before the final 'closing' varnish could be applied and an exposition (hence called vernissage) could be arranged. That was usually the time to sign it, too. In this half year a lot could happen: desaster, commissioner's rejection, war, etc. Some work did not turn out dry as nicely as it was when wet. Some did not live up to its maker's reputation. Some did not fit in with the gallery contract he was under. These and many more were all reasons not to sign or with a pseudonym, as quite a few artists did commercial work. Quite unfortunately gifts, to fellow artists, concubines, realatives were also often left unsigned. Every individual painter has his own signing history which should be considered. Georg Grosz, to name one, had a long period of not signing at all.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
750 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  02:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merray is of course right in commenting this canvas does not look pre-1906. And bluemlein that it is lacking in composition to be an art historical master piece. But the older I get, the more pigs I have seen fly....
Go to Top of Page

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  08:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for all the information arb and Merray and bluemlein. It is safe to assume that I don't have a missing Cezanne hanging on the wall then, and wont have to insure it. :)
In any case whomever painted it, I am happy to display on the wall and I will enjoy this painting for what it is.
Arb, that is really useful information.. It certainly covers a lot of territory as far as unsigned works and answers some questions I have had about that subject for many years..

Thanks again, and I am very glad you guys are here for those of us who are ignorant
of the finer details of the art world.

Doug C
Go to Top of Page

Merray
Gold Member

Canada
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  08:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for touching on the unsigned artworks topic Arb! That is sort of my own pain and love. :)
I deal in art, but for now can't really afford to keep the paintings/artists I really like for myself, so my personal collection is rather an unusual one: I collect high quality unsigned works. :) I have my own idea as to by whom most of them are, but the market today wouldn't pay what they worth just based on the artistic/esthetic value... I'm just sure the technology will sooner or later catch up so such artworks would be 100% positively IDed. Well, the technology is actually already there, it's just that no one is ready yet to invest in it to accustom it particularly to the specifics of Art. But that's a long story anyway... For now I just enjoy my art.
...so welcome to the club Doug! :)

www.artmarketspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dcolosio

USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  09:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merray, thanks very much.. I feel somewhat vindicated. :) LOL! Yes, I too am a lover of art who can not seem to keep his modest amount money in his wallet when interesting paintings are in view. I however have not found a missing Van Gogh or Wassily Kandinsky like the guy I purchased this very painting from did, 50 miles from here. I have however destroyed a good many proven fake Picasso's and Dali's in my time that I paid good money for. It costs money to buy and sell and authenticate and everything in between. This fine art field is more complicated than the Music Business! Perhaps that's why its fascinating to me. I don't know, but it keeps my sense of curiosity alive and so it's worth doing. I hope everyone looking for one finds a masterpiece that pays their bills for a hundred years and allows them the privilege of searching for more of them. Not all of us were born into royalty.
This painting however, I do love.. and until I find a better one (that I can afford).... It wins my own personal contest. Here's to the unsung hero's who rescue worthy works of art from the trash heaps of the World.. :)
And forgive me if I sound self absorbed here, THANK YOU MERRAY, ARB, AND BLUEMLEIN for all the fine advice and opinion.. It is the flow of knowledge from more experienced members like yourselves that makes this the best art forum on the internet (in my humble opinion).. THANK YOU!

Edited by - dcolosio on Apr 27 2016 09:27:57
Go to Top of Page

fostovar
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  05:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, This looks like a work from Gorge Braque to me. Or possibly one of the Russian artists. Beautiful painting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page