Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Deciphering/translation of inscription, please?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Job

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  23:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be slightly more likely to get some joy with this. Can anyone please help to decipher and/or translate the little inscription beneath this drawing? It would be very helpful if only to rule it out as useful, if nothing else.

The drawing is not signed, unfortunately, and I'm not even sure what scene is illustrated there. Biblical, obviously, but I'm not too hot on my bible stories. The man doing something looks more like Moses than Christ to me, otherwise I'd suspect something like the turning of water into wine. But I'm hoping the inscription will clarify the scene, and hopefully relate to whatever the drawing is presumably a study for (an engraving possibly).

It's a bit bad that I'm not even certain what language that is, but I think probably Italian. It's "..... da .....". Sorry the photo isn't clearer, but it isn't much clearer in real life either.

What is a little curious, though, is that although the inscription is not English (and the drawing doesn't look English to me - more German or something, I think), the paper is actually watermarked "LONDON". And just to be clear, while I'm hoping the inscription will be helpful, it has been added and is actually on different paper to the drawing. The extent of the drawing is actually the inked perimeter line. The paper has been trimmed to that and is corner glued to the other paper. Odd paper it is too.

But help would be much appreciated, if possible.. Thank you

ATTACHMENTS:
Drawing sm copy.JPG
Drawing detail - Sm copy.JPG
Drawing Inscription - Sm copy.JPG

Edited by - Job on Jun 10 2017 23:19:52

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1691 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  04:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the scene could be Exodus 17:6, Moses striking water from the rock at Horeb:
http://biblehub.com/exodus/17-6.htm

I haven't cracked the inscription, though. It could refer to the scene as well as to the artist. "da" could also be "a la" (as in "drawing a la ...".

Regards,
Vietato

Edited by - Vietato on Jun 11 2017 06:05:13
Go to Top of Page

hercules brabazon

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  06:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The composition seems to take something from Poussin's version of the subject: for instance the positioning of Moses in the background, staff raised, with a companion just behind him; and the two crouching men facing each other drinking in the foreground.
https://www.wikiart.org/en/nicolas-poussin/moses-striking-water-from-the-rock-1635
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/39586/

The last two words of the inscription could by "du Rocher".

Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1691 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  07:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and the word before: "frappant". P's can have very short downward lines in some handwritings.
"Eau frappant du Rocher"?

It's tough to get "Eau" in there, though.

Edited by - Vietato on Jun 11 2017 07:11:23
Go to Top of Page

hercules brabazon

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  12:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Mose frappant le rocher" ?
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  13:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you SO much Vietato and Hercules. Moses striking the rock it obviously most certainly is (I really should have known that!). And now that's clear, the inscription must be "Frappement du Rocher". An "r" is invisible and it doesn't look like a "t" at the end of the first word, but it must be!

Very, very helpful indeed!

And yes, I can see the elements adapted from the Poussin version too. An influence obviously. I'm still a bit surprised that there's nothing quickly showing that's nearer, though. I'd hoped that a title might find what the drawing was actually produced as, if it was produced as something (I'd suspected an engraving), which would go towards authorship. It still may, of course. I'll just have to do some more digging.

But thanks again

Edited by - Job on Jun 11 2017 13:35:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page