Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ArtBuyerNick
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  05:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I acquired some original art pieces and after doing some digging on this fantastic site, I found that the pieces may be by the artist William Arnold Stewart and have possibly been under-appreciated before my ownership.

Could anybody verify if my hunch is correct or not?

Thank you,
Nick

ATTACHMENTS:
WAS1.jpg
WAS2.jpg
WAS3.jpg
WAS4.jpg
WAS6.jpg

Job

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  20:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for encouraging people to appreciate art, but not all paintings are necessarily good art.

I'm not sure where you've got the name "William Arnold Stewart" from, other than through the letters of the "WAS" monogram happening to match the fellow of the Royal Scottish Academy artist (1882-1953), but there may always have been others anyway. There are quite a few known William Stewarts. And I have to tell you that there's no way your watercolours will be by that artist, even as the work of an 18 year old, which is what he would have been in 1900. He was a good artist who would have been at the Royal College of Art at the time, and he would have had to have been pretty good already to be there. Better than as demonstrated by whoever painted yours. It's not definitive because sometimes how artists sign varies, but William Arnold Stewart also seems to have pretty consistently signed himself as W. A. Stewart. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

ArtBuyerNick
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  04:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your opinion Job. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this.

There are a few reasons I think they "could" be by a young William A Stewart. Firstly, the monogram is very similar to the signature of W A Stewart's later works. I don't think it implausible that an 18 year old William simply monogrammed his work and later went on to complete his surname on his pieces. Secondly, the subject and perspective of the pieces I have closely resemble that of William A Stewart, along with the style being similar.
I know that William A Stewart travelled in his early adult life and ended up in Venice and Egypt, where the vast majority of his works were completed. These pieces being of Dutch scenes, would fit in with a young William arriving in Northern Europe (perhaps Holland) at the start of his career before moving south in the early part of the 20th century.

I've included an image of some works & signatures for comparison.

I'm fully open to the prospect of being wrong on this and I don't think the pieces are particularly valuable. Even if they were to be William A Stewart, their condition is against them, hence them being under-appreciated by previous owners. But it would be nice to know one way or the other.

ATTACHMENTS:
WAScompare1.Jpeg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page