Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  11:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello

http://www.invaluable.com/artist/hibel-edna-c4hk7s657u/sold-at-auction-prices/
Go to Top of Page

Sharno
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  15:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's so many pages of hibel art on there it would take forever for me to find it. But I don't think this is a lithograph, it doesn't look printed
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1663 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  17:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe pfbnantes gave you the link as a hint to the general prices! If he had seen your piece there, he would have linked to that specifically.

But it is actually a lithograph, titled "Finale" - and yours is marked artist proof - which means it is a print.
https://www.pinterest.dk/pin/329114685241943997/
A reverse image search revealed that.

So the price is probably very low.

Regards,
Vietato

Edited by - Vietato on Jun 12 2017 18:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Sharno
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  18:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reverse image searched it and found nothing. Weird
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  19:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was another lithograph on that Invaluable page that is very similar, called "Pas De Deux". That would probably give you the best idea re what yours is worth, assuming it was only the one image that was sold. Some of the lithographs seem to fetch reasonable money. The site that sold that other, though, is an online auction and I wouldn't necessarily trust the result. But it might be worth your while registering with their site to access that result for lot 8 on the 3rd March 2016.

http://londongalleryauctions.com/past-auctions/

And yours would be a bit more interesting because it is apparently an artist's proof, provided that the writing and the signature are in pencil and the whole not just a photographic reproduction of a lithograph. Being an artist's proof means that it's a copy provided to the artist for their own purposes outside the limited edition otherwise. That's more personal to the artist and therefore that bit more interesting.

quote:
There's so many pages of hibel art on there it would take forever for me to find it. But I don't think this is a lithograph, it doesn't look printed

But just for the record, you're saying lots of pages (not even so very many actually) is too much for you to bother to look through in your own interests, but you apparently think it's perfectly reasonable of you to expect someone else to waste their time looking through there for you instead. I'd think long and hard about what you've just demonstrated about yourself there, if I were you, because it's not good.

Edited by - Job on Jun 12 2017 19:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1663 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  19:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But that lot no. 8 didn't sell. It was estimated at $148 - $182.
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/pas-de-deux-limited-edition-lithograph-by-edna-8-c-d4e4c74b55
An account with Invaluable is free, is needed for bidding, and gives access to prices on the site.

Regarding reverse image search: I cut out the motif and searched only that. I use an add-on to Firefox called Screengrab! which allows me to "cut" pictures from the web, in the same process it is uploaded to the site affiliated with Screengrab", and the URL for the photo is added to the computers clipboard. All in one go. Very nifty.

Regards,
Vietato

PS: Job is right about the term correctly being "artist's proof", but on the print it says "artist proof".

Edited by - Vietato on Jun 12 2017 19:48:21
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  19:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite right there, I hadn't logged in. And I'm not surprised it didn't sell either, but a lithograph has still got some value (as long as not photographic repro)

But I've noticed you talk about reverse image searching quite a lot, Vietato. I'd never tried it at all before, but I must admit I haven't found it too terribly useful re what I have now tried it with. The computer's idea of what is visually similar is just too wildly dissimilar in practice. That screengrab does indeed sound quite nifty though and I'll persevere in case experience and other tricks of use improve its effectiveness.
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1663 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  19:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and another thing about reverse image searches: the key words are very important.

Google chooses one or more words it thinks describes the picture, in this case "drawing". Changing it to "Edna Hibel" narrows the results down a bit ;-)

Sharno
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  22:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Job, way to jump to conclusions, I never expected anyone else to do it either, I simply stated that there were a lot of pages and it would take me forever. I never once asked for anyone else to do it.

I appreciate the responses, besides the little unnecessary lecture from job, I am going to look further into this piece, it was owned by a retired dentist who had a lot of hibel art including a big mother and daughter.
Thanks everyone
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page