Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Deciphering/translation from German issue?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Job

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  15:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought this rather sketchy watercolour as nothing in particular. Didn't really like it, but it was quite interesting and looked as if it might be a study for something more interesting. And although I couldn't read it, a German label verso was clearly dating it to 1925. And that obviously made it look as if it might be worth a bit of investigation.

It's a curious thing, the label seems to indicate that it was an illustration for some German magazine and that the date is actually the print date. And that it has "Goth a la Maria Stuart" (French?) writing indicates that the subject is Mary Queen of Scots, which sort of tallies with the image, even though she did seem an odd subject for a German magazine. Initially I thought the image might be supposed to be the ghost of Mary Queen of Scots, but I'm now supposing the "Goth" is for the Hungarian born artist Imre Goth instead.

So my query is not actually that, although if I'm completely wrong I'd be happy to be redirected appropriately. It is re two words that are written on the back of the paper, off the label (one very faintly), that I just can't read. They may not be of any significance at all, but because they're there, I would like to know what they are, just in case. And I can't read them, so help would be much appreciated if possible. For the record, also on the back are the numbers "79 504" and "H37", as probably something to do with the publication.

But any advice would be much appreciated....Thank you

ATTACHMENTS:
Imre goth image - Sm copy.JPG
Label - Sm copy.JPG
Word 1 sm copy -.JPG
Word 2 sm copy.JPG

hercules brabazon

United Kingdom
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  06:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that strange for a German magazine (presumably Junggeselle), as "Maria Stuart" is a famous play by Schiller (in turn adapted as an opera by Donizetti).

The clearer of the two inscriptions begins "gelb"; maybe an instruction to the printers as the label describes the colour of the image as schwarz/gelb (black/yellow).

Edited by - hercules brabazon on Jun 14 2017 06:17:15
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1594 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  06:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that inscription is simply "gelb/schwarz"
:-)

Edited by - Vietato on Jun 14 2017 07:02:23
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  14:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too familiar with the works of Schiller, or with operas in general, but should still at least have recognised the name (slaps wrist!). So thank you for the info. That does make more sense of the subject.

And when one assumes there can be the stroke, the one inscription must indeed just be a repeat of the gelb/schwarz. I'd looked at it for ages, but that had escaped me. So thank you
Go to Top of Page

eytan
Average Member

Israel
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  15:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Junggeselle (The Bachelor) was a magazine (Zeitschrift) published in Weimar Germany between 1919 and 1929, an art deco soft precursor of erotic men's magazines. This image was supposed to appear in issue 12. I guess if you research this magazine, you will know more about the painting.

Eytan

Actually it is from a later issue - 16 came out in 1924 and this one was supposed to go to print in 1925

Edited by - eytan on Jun 20 2017 08:41:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page