New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Lisciandro
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2017 :  04:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All. Not sure if this is an etching or lithograph... This piece is roughly 8 x 7 and features an old church that I cannot identify and illegible title and signature. Photos attached below. As mentioned in my other post, I also picked this up at a thrift store on the same day I purchased (2) original, signed Dali etchings. As always, help would be greatly appreciate. Feel free to respond here or by email to: coincollezione@gmail.com - Sincerely, Joe

Joe Lisciandro
coincollezione@gmail.com

ATTACHMENTS:
Etching Front.JPG
Etching Signature.JPG
Etching Title.JPG

Joe Lisciandro
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  20:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And under further investigation, it appears the artist's first name is Alex and the last name initial is potentially "H" - should this be at all familiar, please let me know.

Joe Lisciandro
coincollezione@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

angelo

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  07:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be a work of Alex Herman Haig , a sweden artist.
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1663 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  08:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think this print is consistent with the style and signature of Alex Herman Haig, but that it is only on the basis of a quick search. The print at hand does not seem to be from a very skilled artist to my eyes.

The title is in connected block letters, and the second word seems to be "church", so probably British. Although I haven't seen that architectural style anywhere before.

Regards,
Vietato

Job

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  09:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haig etchings absolutely look nothing like that! And he didn't have an ambiguous signature either.

And that signature doesn't look like "Alex H" anyway. It looks more like "A Cox" to me, with a squiggle that could be supposed to be a date or an "ly" or "ley" ending. So could be something like Coxly/Coxley or Loxly/Loxley (?). But while a British artist can't necessarily be ruled out, the image isn't of anywhere in this country. The architecture doesn't look remotely British, but that doesn't rule the possibility out. There are lots of examples of buildings that don't look typically British. What does rule it out is the person depicted carrying something on his head or shoulder.

It actually looks as if it might be quite an interesting location if only one could read that first word in the title. It looks as if it might end in "ini".
Go to Top of Page

hercules brabazon

United Kingdom
877 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  13:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering if it could be a Portuguese colonial church in southern India, though I can't find any particularly close examples.
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  16:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it certainly looks either Portuguese or Spanish colonial somewhere. And India is the most likely location for an British artist to be working, but this is something from America so I think I'm leaning to Central/South America rather instead. But could be African colonial somewhere too.

I tried running various combinations of letters though Google, with asterisks to cover unknowns, but still didn't come up with anything.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Lisciandro
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2017 :  20:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All... Thank you so much for the insight. The Alex H came from what looks to be the signature on the plate located in the lower left just above the pencil. It's almost in standard print. The reverse of the etching is tape sealed and the cord is almost waxy. I don't know if this would help at minimum date when this was framed.. Would it be ok to open it? Would gladly do so if we felt it would help establish it's maker and origin.

Thanks Kindly,
Joe

Joe Lisciandro
coincollezione@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page