is this by James drummond?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elizabethlewicki

56 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  02:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello members
I have this painting on milk glass and i am wanting to know if it could be by James Drummond ?Did he ever paint on milk glass? Is this just a copy of his work by another artist.
many thanks Guido.

ATTACHMENTS:
2017-06-17 19.17.31 (480x640) (2).jpg
2017-06-17 19.17.43 (480x640).jpg

Edited by - Elizabethlewicki on Jul 04 2017 18:56:54

Job

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  05:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea if James Drummond ever painted on glass, but it's unlikely. It certainly wasn't standard practice. As you've obviously seen for yourself, though, he is known for having painted just such portrait studies of characterful old fishermen, amongst other things. And for comparison, this is a link to one referenced on this site.

http://www.findartinfo.com/english/art-pictures/0/2/0/Watercolor/page/23549.html

Same subject matter, but huge disparity in quality. No possibility at all of being the same hand. So yes, as I think you already know, yours will have been a copy of a painting or a photograph or something.

Edited by - Job on Jul 05 2017 06:02:55
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethlewicki

56 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  07:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Job
Many thanks for your reply. I think you are probably right.I am a collector of portrait miniatures .when i saw this one I felt it was interesting enough for the price I paid $150.00 Aud as most good miniatures are in the $1000-$2000.00Aud .I still feel it has some quality about it
and being on milk glass is unusual.

By the way i notice that your from the UK

I have recently purchased an interesting early photo take by Frank Medow Sutcliffe 1853 -1941.

i am not sure if you know about him ?he was one of England's most highly decorated photographers .The photo is titled "the weekly news" 1890 .i am not sure if the Sutcliffe gallery is still there in Witby Nth Yorkshire ? I can down load an image later if you are interested .
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  09:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not very familiar with Frank Meadow Sutcliffe. I'm not actually very conversant with the photograph market at all, although it's a growing market and I love the recorded imagery of past times. But I've heard of him as an early photographer, and particularly as a photographer of Whitby.

So out of curiosity I googled the Sutcliffe Gallery and yes, it's still there, showcasing the photographer's work and selling copies of his images. That you're referencing the gallery, though, does rather make me think that what you have probably came from there. And in that case the chances of it being a genuine early photograph are pretty much non-existent. Sorry if you thought something else. They show his photographs and sell copies of them. That's what they do and what they've been doing for a long time. I have no doubt at all they sell really well too, but they're not actual early photographs, only copies of the images. Still wonderful images, though!

This is their site:

www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk.html

Edited by - Job on Jul 05 2017 11:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethlewicki

56 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  04:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Job
You are correct my photo is from the gallery .i purchased it in a secondhand shop here in Australia.because it looked interesting and discovered the Suttcliffe Gallery label on the back after taking it out of the frame.I do realise it is a copy if you want to put it like that ,although probably done from the original negative. Many thanks for your comments. Guido.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page