Early fishing watercolour? Opinion appreciated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Job

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  14:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi....This is stuck down onto a later board (and is suffering a little bit from that), with a mount stuck fast to the board to front as well. But it's an interesting watercolour and while I'm not expecting anything substantive re the artist, alternative opinions would be much appreciated just re what it is actually representing. And clarification of anything significant visible about that ship/boat is, from anyone knowledgeable about ships, would be appreciated too. Is it a standard fishing boat or something else?

If there was something written on the back, then it's not visible until I can get it taken off that board. I can't see if it's laid paper, but I'm assuming it probably is since it looks C18, around the turn of that century at latest .

So there are 5 men fishing with rods, with the boat/ship they've come from, behind. When I bought it, I thought it might be of some expedition with sailors taking advantage of being near shore to supplement rations. But on looking at it again later, I doubted that sailors would be wearing hats like that and also that that ship is actually big enough to have been an ocean going vessel. So is it just fishermen from a fishing vessel? Isn't that a rather odd way for actual fishermen to be fishing (wouldn't exactly fill the hold as caught individually by rod and line like that)? Or maybe it's gentlemen playing at fishing on a day out?

I was just wondering about it today, so thought I'd ask. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ATTACHMENTS:
Anon interesting early wc. Sm copy.JPG
Anon interesting early wc detail. Sm copy.JPG

Edited by - Job on Jun 18 2017 20:24:12
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page