Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Antique w/c - Lady and Piano - who is artist pls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

cyril

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2017 :  20:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

another addition to my little collection - charming watercolor of a lady playing the piano. Almost photographic quality, yet appears to be an antique watercolor. Signed by the artist in the bottom right corner but I can not decipher the signature. The size is 11 x 14 inches including the mat, actual art sight is about 8 x 12 inches ... extensive inscriptions on the back (see the photos) but they do not make much sense in terms of finding the artist name. Does anyone know who the artist is ...??

Thank you very much.
Cyril.

ATTACHMENTS:
lady_001.jpg
lady_002.jpg
lady_003.jpg

hercules brabazon

United Kingdom
887 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2017 :  05:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the end of the 19th century 12 Porteus Road was the address of Hugh Owen, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (who wrote about ceramics though not, I think an artist himself); could that be his name erased?
Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2017 :  11:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Hercules! and I thought an address would be nothing special to go by .. The erased name may have H and O as starting words (oh, rather O first then H) but "last name" seems a bit longer unless it is a title of that person. Even if this really has a relation to Hugh Owen (was he an artist or rather a political figure? an educator, etc ..??) then it probably relates in terms "was purchased by .....Hugh Owen"?? I am looking at the signature on the painting and have doubts it was signed by Hugh Owen (although, I have to say I was not able to look up his signature anywhere on Internet so far ...). But thank you very much, Hercules, I believe you have uncovered at least one mystery about this art work.

Cyril.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page