Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyson4kgc
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2018 :  06:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

I’ve recently become the owner of this framed, Signed & numbered Itzchak Tarkay Watercolor 22”x19” Can anyone offer any details on the name of the piece and advise if it is of any value? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Love & Light

ATTACHMENTS:
100B95E4-3A04-400B-ACE3-7BBE927A32EB.jpeg
990688B0-7BBB-4327-9485-48F1935EA767.jpeg

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2018 :  07:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are showing two different lithographs (or serigraphs), not watercolors. The numbers indicate the size of the edition.
Both can be found here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Itzchak-Tarkay-1990-1999-Art-Prints/360/bn_87772739/i.html?_fsrp=1
Here they have the titles "Nude with flowers" and "May".

Here are some auction prices:
http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/60959/itzchak-tarkay.html

More info:
https://www.katherinaperrygallery.com/itzchak-tarkay

Regards,
Vietato

I recommend the forum at BidToArt.com

cathammer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  23:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be advised, this artist is one whose works are regularly part of the wares offered on cruise ship auctions, particularly by the sketchy (in my, and many others', opinion) Park West Galleries. Such sales are often far in excess of normal market prices, and you'll find many of the pieces later offered on places like ebay by their regretful buyers. Often they're listed at hopeful, but unrealistically high prices by those trying to recoup their losses.

Do an advanced search on ebay for completed auctions where Tarkay's works have actually sold to get a better idea of the real market: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Art-Prints/360/i.html?_fsrp=1&_from=R40&_nkw=+Itzchak+Tarkay&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=360&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=30064-2962&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

Edited by - cathammer on Apr 19 2018 21:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Tyson4kgc
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  08:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your helpful insight!

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2018 :  17:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With respect, from the actuality of not recognising a watercolour from a lithograph, you obviously don't know what you're doing. And in that case there needs to be some qualification to the posts above. Vietato's post was fine, and directed you both to actual sale prices at standard auction and to his work being sold at a gallery. The only qualification needed there is that if you just have the prices, you can be confused re what was actually sold. All works are not equal and what can look like a price for a single work could actually have been for a multiple. That's not with reference to Itzchak Tarkay in particular, and is just a warning about needing to be clear re what was actually being sold.

The other post from Cathammer, however, is really quite deceptive. I don't know anything about works being sold on cruise ship auctions, but what he's directed you to re Ebay sold items, makes no distinction between mass reproduced prints and proper hand produced, limited edition, lithographs or serigraphs. So as someone who doesn't know what they're doing, that's likely to just confuse the issue. There is a difference. The repro rubbish has no intrinsic value at all, and you can't compare the prices. And you also have to understand that the Ebay "market" is a market peculiar to itself and cannot be taken as providing proper valuations of anything. If you put a real Rembrandt up for sale to a class of kindergarten kids, you wouldn't expect a realistic valuation to result. And it's the same with Ebay. With a few exceptions (including those who're knowledgeably looking for undervalued mistakes), art otherwise is at the mercy of the equivalent of a bunch of not very bright kids. Really good things will struggle to sell at all, even when genuinely relatively really cheap, while appalling fakes and ridiculously misattributed nonsense sells for appalling amounts of money because idiots think they're "bargains".

Go to Top of Page

cathammer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  01:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Job, I'm not quite sure why you object to the information I provided to Tyson. Vietato had already advised him on what kind of prints he has, and helpfully provided a link to related items listed on Ebay. Building on that, I gave him a link to find such items that had actually sold. If Tyson is competent enough to post on this forum and provide links to his pictures, I credit him with enough sense to review the specifics in an individual Ebay offering (which often does include the distinctive, and vital, information you mention) and see how closely it compares with what he has. There are numerous online tutorials he can access (even on Ebay) to gain a better understanding of prints in general, what to look for, and what to look out for. It's up to him as to how well he wants to inform himself, and what he does to that end might be predicated on any number of factors related to his reason for, or degree of interest in, the valuation of his pieces.

As you indicate, Ebay is certainly a minefield for art and antiques, but no matter what one might think about it (or any other venue) as a source for art, it's a truism, for any type of market, that sales provide more information on value than offers or listings. It can be particularly good to know if the market has been saturated with similar (maybe even the exact same) items for which often unsophisticated buyers have grossly overpaid (The cruise ship art sale thing). This can create a more significant divide between asking and selling prices than might otherwise be the case.

Still, depending on Tyson's reason for wanting to estimate the value, it could be to his benefit to familiarize himself with what is selling on Ebay (it's also easier to access, can often supply more detailed information, and entails no registration fee). If, for example, he is researching with an eye to selling, he might find that its history of sales indicates he could possibly obtain a better price from the group of "kindergarten kids" there than in a "traditional" auction. For example, a traveler might have liked a Tarkay print he saw on a cruise, balked at paying $3000 there, but happily buy it for $500 on Ebay, blissfully unaware of the $79 sale of another copy at a recent secondary auction.

Edited by - cathammer on Apr 22 2018 01:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  06:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was very relevant information you gave, cathammer!

When I linked to the present eBay ads I was tempted to say that I thought the prices were set very high for this kind of art, but I didn't investigate the matter.

Regards,
Vietato

Job

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  13:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't "object" to the information you provided, Cathammer. I didn't say it was irrelevant either. I said it was deceptive as directed at someone who patently doesn't know what they're doing.

If someone can't tell the difference between a watercolour and a print (and having been able to upload a photograph doesn't actually affect that), they're not going to be able to tell the difference between a photographic reproduction of a print and a hand produced one either. So, without qualification, the Ebay sales results you linked to (although not irrelevant) absolutely were deceptive! The sales results there were for both serigraphs and photo repro without obvious differentiation to the unknowing. So I was just trying to make sure the unknowing questioner wasn't deceived into thinking all the values there were for the same thing. I actually agree that people generally should have better general understanding and should research what they can for themselves too, but it doesn't hurt any to think about what may be misunderstood.

Go to Top of Page

cathammer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  15:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Job, I get your point, and pretty much agree with what you're saying. I might have used terminology like "potentially confusing" rather than "deceptive" in this circumstance, so I think we've just had a glitch in communication.

Someone in Tyson's position should most definitely further educate himself if he intends to make an attempt at deciphering art information on Ebay ...or anywhere else, for that matter ;-) .

Cheers,
C
Go to Top of Page

cathammer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  15:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vietato

I thought it was very relevant information you gave, cathammer!

When I linked to the present eBay ads I was tempted to say that I thought the prices were set very high for this kind of art, but I didn't investigate the matter.

Regards,
Vietato

Thanks, Vietato. I was hoping you didn't think what I posted was meant in any way other than to be supportive of what you had already provided. I linked the Ebay advanced search info because I've found that not everyone is aware of the existence of that feature that lets them review a certain amount of auction history.

Cheers,
C
Go to Top of Page

Job

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  17:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if I offended you along the way, Cathammer (that wasn't my intention), I was just trying to avert the likely misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the Ebay results shown.
Go to Top of Page

cathammer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No offense at all, Job, just a little confusion. You made an important point that Tyson should consider.
Cheers,
C
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page