New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angelo

Italy
117 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2018 :  00:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks.

Just to post a message different from usual items , I would like to ask for a question I had since a lot of time.
From the view of art , it would be better a masterpiece unsigned or a very ugly painting signed by a very famous painter ? It's a simple question , a curiosity but in background there is in discussion maybe the actual definition of art , today perhaps more business than beauty.
Thank you in advance for your comments.

Regards

Angelo

jhomejimbo

648 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2018 :  15:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angelo,
I ask that question to myself many times throughout the year.
The mere fact that dealers and 'experts' insist on such provenance, makes you wonder whether the art is even important to the worth of art.
I have, honestly, seen art, in very famous museums that is, obviously, not even genuine. Because of the plaque that accompanies museum art, people who want to learn about art are talked in to liking art because of the artist, not the composition, or quality.
I have art, in my collection, that is so much more interesting and so much better, as far as quality, composition, color, etc., in my estimation. Art is very subjective.

There are paintings I have had that I wouldn't sell for any price - you wouldn't know the artist. I would, much rather, purchase an unknown artist's painting for less money, that I enjoy, than an obviously inferior painting, done by a, touted, famous painter.

When great painters were alive, do you honestly believe that every painting created by them, was a good painting? Of course not.
I agree, that the chances of a known artist creating a better painting, is great.
The old adage of, 'buy the art that you love', seems to be a more rewarding way to accumulate a collection.
If you want to make investments, then 'business' sort of guides you toward the demands of provenance. After all, even the greatest artists, painted what they loved.

Some buyers are not geared toward what's popular, or expensive, buying what they like. This is why a variety of art has survived for so many years.

To me, the extravagant prices for paintings of some types of art has surpassed their value. Remember though, much art would not have been preserved, throughout history, if not for the affluent buyers. It's just like buying a collector car. The best car, to me, is the one you can own, and enjoy driving.
The great art ends up in museums. The good art ends up in our homes.
Love art,
Regards,
Jimmy N
Go to Top of Page

angelo

Italy
117 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  02:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your message , Jimmy , I agree about everything.
Trying to summarize and generalize my thought , is that often our attention is more focused on label than on the object , generally speaking , something about like the trust in a brand , instead of checking well the object and then seeing the label.
Maybe it's easier to check once the signature (giving trust to the "brand" Picasso , Renoir , Modigliani,etc) in order to evaluate the painting and only after watching the work.It's certainly more difficult to evaluate directly the painting and finding in it the signs of the masterpiece.
It would be like if in a car shop someone sells a Ferrari but without the horse in the front and the mark "ferrari" in the rear and a utility fiat car like a "Panda 30" but with the mark "ferrari" in the rear.

Angelo

Edited by - angelo on Jul 10 2018 02:12:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page