Mixed media on paper - help with signature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Coopers

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  15:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Hoping someone can help identify this work or decipher the signature / monogram. The work is mixed media (watercolor? and collage) on a fibrous tissue paper. It is signed or monogrammed lower left and dated '83. In removing it from it's frame I came across a backing from a legitimate local gallery that dealt in well-known artists in the late 1970s and 1980s. The gallery is no longer in existence. The work measures 24" by 17.5". Any help in the identification would be appreciated.

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_2779.jpg
IMG_2781 (2).jpg

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1885 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  07:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The artist will most likely have made other paintings similar to this.
A reverse image search might reveal those, but the search has to be narrowed down by relevant keywords.

This is the "naked search":
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZisv-62POu8jhYJpEcSngxEEoMAsagcs1mZ-sDr5aepRmTtwdZtYRPWcOdT4zZLclShqePW9tWac1GqFydi2vIIjkMmm-KflDfA5dMLQbaG1tzDaqsxGNYzv70fS82AJHLnG9lHThV-2ulOGVT5f9_1OmvxwqvOlbagVe-ptjtWoKt7J5edfLkWton0sN8MFfwrtAhDEWNT1J_1VUxB64BuGoJHaXW8ZF4KOEX_1xC6n9VcSJly_1GD5XggR18QHxUJD7XRjwJvEJu8EAsSKRuglXXerTvy08dh3HA6PqmLWadsCQyqMWcTjQW3QOiVUJK2HY2Suc2NmTq17j42uxleu-IFj2aWnhg&hl=da

The "similar pictures" are not very similar!

Here are the "similar pictures" from the same reverse image search with keywords "abstract painting paper":
https://www.google.com/search?hl=da&tbs=simg:CAESlQEJZJUcCRhvgD0aiQELEKjU2AQaAggVDAsQsIynCBpiCmAIAxIozAqpF9UHshXnFt4F1gfhB7kW4gf8N_1s3iCKWJ_1M0vDT2N4Auhyn3LRow_1gAxaPBJ6w_1rBYxvWl6FnVjx7uQHlLytu81QNqib0LUW33tAQQHtPtCLfd5Cd-IFIAQMCxCOrv4IGgoKCAgBEgRXLlwFDA&q=abstract+painting+paper&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiooqmK0qTgAhXJjqQKHQW0D3cQsw56BAgCEAE&biw=1132&bih=1062

Now you are getting closer!

You can add the name of the "local gallery" to the search as well. Or the name of the city, county, state since it is likely that the artist is also somewhat "local". Bear in mind that the order of the keywords yields different results as well.

All I know is that you are from USA, which is a very broad location.

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - American Art in 200 years

Edited by - Vietato on Feb 05 2019 13:19:34
Go to Top of Page

Coopers

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2019 :  18:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vietato,
Thank you very much for your response. That reverse image search did certainly show some similar pieces. Alas, none of the artists seem to fit. I am based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. When I removed the backing of the piece on the reverse side of the backing board was an overnight mailing label from a San Francisco Gallery to a Fort Lauderdale gallery. Neither still exist, however the person who owned the Ft. Lauderdale gallery was Mark Steingard. An article from 2009 about Mr. Steingard: http://investmentandart.com/pdf/TheWeekly9-2009.pdf
Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and for the advice. Reverse image with keywords may be the key. I will keep trying.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page