Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MTC
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2019 :  08:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Steele, Water Colour and Gouache Painting

Its size is 52 cm Wide, 34 cm height.

This artist is the same person referred to as Edwin Steele on the auction sites, but with incorrect dates of either 1803-1871, or 1837-1898.

There is another Edwin Steele, but this one was the son of this painter. Edwin J. Steele who was born in 1861 in Stoke on Trent. Apparently he died in Birmingham in 1933.

Edwin Steele was a painter at this Rockingham china and porcelain patter book, and his father, Thomas Steele was a painter at the same factory before his son.

E Steele is known as a painter of fruit and flowers, although there are some landscapes listed. He was quite a prolific painter, although he did not appear to exhibit, as there are no biographical details listed in our reference books, which are drawn from exhibition records.

I reckon this painting is authentic because there isn't any indication telling me otherwise. I have acquired many prints and one learns to distinguish between a copy and an authentic painting.

In England and France, when it is a copy, most paintings have a copyright
stamp of the company where the copy was reproduced. Also the colour of the painting is too good for being a copy. In this watercolour and gouache painting, there is nothing telling me the same is a reproduction.

In some parts of the painting I can feel the brush strokes, when I pass over it with my fingers. In particular over the waves beside the boats.

It was not painted in paper, but in cardboard.

An Art house with whom I entered in contact with, told me that the painting should be from Elvic Steele and not Edwin Steele, as according to this person the painting is modern.

However, these boats were used in Brighton in 1824. So the painting is not modern at all, but very old. It is ca 200 years old. I am posting here the boats I am talking about for you to see. Besides, Elvic Steele’s signature, is a completely different one.

I have bought this painting in "heart foundation" store in Islington, London.

Can you please help me to ascertain if the painting is authentic or a copy?

Many thanks beforehand.

Teresa Coutinho

ATTACHMENTS:
E Steele Good Picture.jpg
Back of the Painting 6.jpg
E Steele Waves 2.jpg
E Steele Signature.jpg
Beached Vessels at Brighton 1824.jpg
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: