Please, your opinions appreciated!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  09:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attached photos oil (or acrylic) painting 30x42 stretched canvas purchased in Nashville TN at antique shop. Author unknown, unsigned.

It is unique in that ‘super odd but cool’ way and I love it; however, I struggle with even placing a style type on it. Are there any other artists works that are similar to this? I’ve also included an image of the back of piece that shows a rough uncut canvas. I thought this odd, never seeing this thinking a professional artist would never leave so crude. The number 96 is written on the back upper right perhaps year but just a guess. Any info, thoughts, style type, similar artist, ideas on date created etc... please, everything is very much appreciated.

With advance thanks for your thoughts and expert opinions. M.

ATTACHMENTS:
D3E0185E-6E08-4D8B-B4D0-03F035251308.jpeg
327ADB72-35FB-4203-AA27-5E668E4D524B.jpeg
E4B10EF1-379C-489A-BDE5-9CC1578CBCB0.jpeg
A60A4454-A9C3-4599-9D9B-C9F3CBD7FFAB.jpeg

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS the image of the FULL PAINTING didn’t post.
I will try to amend original post or add within a comment.
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  09:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wagnermia

Attached photos oil (or acrylic) painting 30x42 stretched canvas purchased in Nashville TN at antique shop. Author unknown, unsigned.

It is unique in that ‘super odd but cool’ way and I love it; however, I struggle with even placing a style type on it. Are there any other artists works that are similar to this? I’ve also included an image of the back of piece that shows a rough uncut canvas. I thought this odd, never seeing this thinking a professional artist would never leave so crude. The number 96 is written on the back upper right perhaps year but just a guess. Any info, thoughts, style type, similar artist, ideas on date created etc... please, everything is very much appreciated.

With advance thanks for your thoughts and expert opinions. M.

ATTACHMENTS:
419F0721-DDD6-4E42-9002-214D40B80C85.jpeg
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  12:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS the image of the FULL PAINTING didn’t post.
I will try to amend original post or add within a comment.

PSS Also, please opinions even if to say ‘junk!’ or ‘what a waste of paint’ or ‘I’ve zero idea’ or ‘just a guess but perhaps...’ or a simple ‘good luck’ goes a long way in my quest :)

Edited by - wagnermia on Mar 10 2019 12:56:57
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1870 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't found anything quite similar, but I think it is an interesting painting in many ways, although not with a very sophisticated painting technique.

It is not unusual for a professional painter to attach the canvas (or linen, it looks like) to the stretcher in this "crude" way. Amateurs are prone to use already stretched canvases.

The motif is "cropped" in an interesting way. I have seen similar in paintings from the last 20-30 years.
It seems to want to raise questions: about life and death (in the sofa). The young lady seems to be detached from her parents, in a world of her own. The father being in the past, looking at old photos.
The tapestry is like a night sky, the flower or star ornaments being way to big for a normal decor.
And why is the woman holding the cup that way?

Just my thoughts!

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - American Art in 200 years
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  16:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, thank you. Your perspective on the piece is very helpful, having not considered any depth of meaning to it. Actually thought the man was playing cards and had came to calling it ‘Sollitaire Surrealism’ !
BUT. You are correct. They are photographs. So many things now peak my curiousity about this painting.
With assumption it depicts a family...
I wonder the intent of father’s ethnicity seeming Asian etc.; Dad reviewing photographs and holding one of a man/boy with the one slightly cropped being a skull (interesting); The sister on the sofa holding flowers (perhaps from memorial service for loved one); of course the skull on the sofa (the actual skull of the loved one who passed) I’ve no clue about why the lady is holding her cup in that manner. All I noticed was those knee caps. They look so sore!
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  16:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, thank you. Your perspective on the piece is very helpful, having not considered any depth of meaning to it. Actually thought the man was playing cards and had came to calling it ‘Sollitaire Surrealism’ !
BUT. You are correct. They are photographs. So many things now peak my curiousity about this painting.
With assumption it depicts a family...
I wonder the intent of father’s ethnicity seeming Asian etc.; Dad reviewing photographs and holding one of a man/boy with the one slightly cropped being a skull (interesting); The sister on the sofa holding flowers (perhaps from memorial service for loved one); of course the skull on the sofa (the actual skull of the loved one who passed) I’ve no clue about why the lady is holding her cup in that manner. All I noticed was those knee caps. They look so sore!

I just realized the initial post of full painting cropped the bottom which shows the skull card referenced. Hoping the attached works better.

ATTACHMENTS:
52EBD51A-F548-4F27-8FC4-28A2CCEFDDC5.jpeg
Go to Top of Page

angelo

Italy
148 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  14:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't also find nothing similar.
As style it seems to be a surrealistic painting , but taken from ordinary daily life.
Anyway interesting.

Angelo
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  14:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Angelo. But ordinary life? There is a skull on the sofa! Although many cultures do keep the skull of loved ones at home after they’ve passed. They created alters for it, offer it flowers, light candles around it. Some families will place them outside to protect their homes. Others keep it around including it as part of the living family. So... perhaps a culture of yours therefore ordinary for you :)
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  14:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Angelo. But ordinary life? There is a skull on the sofa! Although many cultures do keep the skull of loved ones at home after they’ve passed. They created alters for it, offer it flowers, light candles around it. Some families will place them outside to protect their homes. Others keep it around including it as part of the living family. So... perhaps a culture of yours therefore ordinary for you :)

PS but I jest... I understand Surrealism aspect skull to otherwise ordinary... I’ve simply had too much coffee!
Go to Top of Page

shawnster
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ,just going too put 3 things out there and these are what I first thought about.
 Ai Weiwei flavor
Cynical realism
Mexican artist.
Go to Top of Page

wagnermia

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  18:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you shawnster for those thoughts. I too was leaning towards Mexican artists or similar culture. Will look at the other 2 you mentioned. (re your etching, in that topic, please share w me where you picked up the etching? City,state? assuming it wasn’t a family heirloom etc. Likely no matter but you never know)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page