Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 John Piper drawing, what is the building here pls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril

USA
125 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  16:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have recently come into possession of what seems to be John Piper
ink/wash/watercolor drawing ..... no provenance with this one, but I am not looking to get this one authenticated ... Somehow I am convinced this is the genuine one (very dynamic and its magnetism just sort of swoops you into the image) what I am more curious of is that if somebody can recognize the church or dome that is depicted here, please .......

As I was taking pictures to post for the forum, I got a close-up on the bottom right corner for the signature and ....Oh, my God .... I think I can see the title and date on it. 4 letter word where the last 2 letters are "..sa", can not seem to grasp the first 2 letters .... thought it could have been "Pisa" but does not look like one to me ... The date seems to be 65 (1965). It was almost impossible to get a good shot of title and date as it gets very blurry when I am moving up close .... the date is on the white edge to the right of the corner and the title is barely visible through washed area (pic # 5).

Please let me know if somebody has an idea of the building depicted here ...

drawing is on old paper, size of 16 x 11 inches roughly, signed "John Piper" in the bottom right corner (above the title and date), drawing has many wrinkles but still looks amazing in my opinion .......

Thank you for your time.
Cyril.

p.s. is there a way to find Catalogue Raisonne online or in-print to double check what drawings were entered there for 1965 time period ....???

ATTACHMENTS:
piper_1.JPG
piper_2.JPG
piper_3.JPG
piper_4.JPG
piper_5.JPG
signature.JPG

Edited by - cyril on May 13 2019 22:57:15
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: