Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m60vxr
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  13:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Firstly please forgive this rather desperate post but I am at my wits end!

I'm trying to identify a piece of artwork that my wife once owned but has gone missing due to it being lost in storage sometime over the last 10 years. It is of extreme sentimental value and she is distraught at its loss.

The only picture I have of it is the one attached which has been cropped from a photo of the wall of the room in our old house which just happens to have about 80% of it showing.

The photo is not very big and not the clearest so I appreciate I am asking a lot but I am sincerely hoping that one of you good folks might be able to suggest an artist or even maybe the location depicted so I can search online to see if I can either get a better picture of it to aid its identification or even maybe a miracle that there was more than one painted and I can buy a replacement.

It's oil on canvass and we do not recall what the signature said or even if there was a signature. I can not remember exactly how big the painting was but at a guess I would say about 1m wide by 500cm high.

I know I am asking a lot and appreciate its unlikely given the size and quality that anyone will be able to help but you are my last hope as I have spent weeks trying to find something close online to no avail!

Many thanks for anything anyone can suggest.

ATTACHMENTS:
Image1.jpg

Edited by - m60vxr on Jul 02 2019 14:01:24

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1886 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  14:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't gather much from your photo! Not colours, nor painting technique.

I made the photo lighter and saw tall buildings and some people on the street.

You can try different Google image searches with different keywords. This is "painting city with tall buildings people on the street":
https://www.google.com/search?hl=da&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=urEbXf3kFo3QmwXv1oroCA&q=painting+city+with+tall+buildings+people+on+the+street&oq=painting+city+with+tall+buildings+people+on+the+street&gs_l=img.3...42785.44151..46056...0.0..0.161.397.4j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.WGsXSlV3K4g#imgrc=xOj7O3cpnX_UhM:

The order of the words is important!

Another example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cityscape+painting+tall+buildings+people&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS7oOC_pbjAhXDZ1AKHY5CDzoQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1133&bih=1066

If you think the Paris paintings is a match, then search for Paris street scenes. They are very popular!

Good luck!

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - Lectures about art

ATTACHMENTS:
Desparate.jpg

Edited by - Vietato on Jul 02 2019 14:50:58
Go to Top of Page

m60vxr
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  17:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vietato,

The picture is actually very dark, Im pretty sure its a night scene or a very wet day.

Yes I have tried endless searches in google images with endless combinations of words: street scene dark rainy wet paris etc attempting to describe the picture. I had always thought it was a Paris street scene but gave up and started leaving paris out of the search but still not come up with anything like our picture. Most of the French street scenes have prominent landmarks like the Eiffel Tower etc but I don't see anything to recognise a specific landmark in our picture. It could be anywhere I guess. I was hoping someone might look and recognise the scene but its a real longshot I know.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Edited by - m60vxr on Jul 02 2019 17:51:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page