Martin Van Waning???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KHartley

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought this "antigue" etching at a local auction. I have found 2 possible names for the artist on this site - Martin Van Waning; 1889-1972 and Martin Van Waring; 1800-????. I believe the artist is probably the first Martin listed. He appears to be Dutch or from the Netherlands somewhere. The etching was described from the auction catalogue as being a scene with the Gresham Pre-Prep School in Holt Norfolk which has been in existance since about 1555.

I was wondering if anyone can translate the writing at the bottom of the etching - the one (Etching2) is obviously the artist's name but the other (Etching1) is probably the title of the etching or names the "scene" location.

Any help greatly appreciated. THANKS

ATTACHMENTS:
Etching3.jpg
Etching1.jpg
Etching2.jpg
EtchingDetail1.jpg
EtchingDetail2.jpg
EtchingDetail3.jpg
EtchingDetail4.jpg

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1890 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  16:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The title is "Straatje te Scheveningen" (street in Scheveningen), a part of The Hague in the Netherlands.

Martin van Waning (1889-1972) seems to be the right artist:
https://bidtoart.com/en/find-artist/martin-van-waning/121839?limit=100

Martin van Waring with only one sale is most likely a misreading of the name.

Here you have his full name by birth with "van" correctly written in only small letters:
http://www.artvalue.com/artist---81066.htm

Regards,
Vietato

PS. Since you write "Dutch or from the Netherlands somewhere" I would like to point out that Dutch people are from the Netherlands! Americans often seem to think that the Dutch are from Denmark - and the Danish from the Netherlands! That confusion is evident in many eBay ads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_people

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - Lectures about art

Edited by - Vietato on Jul 20 2019 17:09:02
Go to Top of Page

KHartley

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  17:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I said "He appears to be Dutch or from the Netherlands" I was just hoping to add in all the other countries associated with the Netherlands - I did not mean to dis-associate the Dutch from the Netherlands. :)

And being as the hand written title is "Straatje te Scheveningen" (street in Scheveningen), a part of The Hague in The Netherlands, it would appear that whoever thought it was a scene from Holt Norfolk showing the Gresham School was completely WRONG!!!! :) There was even an old newspaper clipping about the school taped to the back of the frame!!!!

I did think that the first word - Straatje - was Street.

Looking at the listings for his work on this site, it doesn't seem as if his etchings sell for any great sums though. Luckily I paid very little for it.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  03:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/antiek-en-kunst/kunst-etsen-en-gravures/m1422726236-m-van-waning-oud-scheveningen-de-keizerstraat-met-zicht.html?c=1f6123406d618e4dfc07bc3e0818a26e&previousPage=lr
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page