signature help - old barbizon painting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nycollector

21 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  10:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I am posting photos of an antique Barbizon painting. It is signed with a monogram and has an inscription. I can decipher part of the inscription: Foret de Fontainebleau followed by a date 187?. There is also a pencil inscription on the frame with appears to read: Spanierman (old American gallery). It measures approx. 15 x 18 inches. If anyone could help me determine the artist or the rest of the inscription, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking. Regards, Tina

ATTACHMENTS:
barbizon front.jpg
barbizon signature 3.jpg
barbizon inscription 1.jpg
barbizon spaniermann notation.jpg
barbizon verso.jpg

Edited by - nycollector on Oct 11 2019 10:20:25

arb

Netherlands
774 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  13:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I read is Lambert Lesain, Lefain or Lepain. Not listed artists' names, maybe not even existing surnames, but sometimes a silly remark brings us a step further :) .
Go to Top of Page

nycollector

21 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  16:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arb,

Many thanks for kindly looking and responding! Over the years, I've stared at this so long that I think my eyes have crossed. I don't know if the top line is the artist's name or part of the inscription.

Do you think the top line could read: Cam**** de Paris? La *** de Paris? It could read: Camille ***?

I think there might be a monogram to the left of the inscription (the letter S). The scene may depict the road to Chailly in Fontainebleau. I've tried researching the Barbizon school but haven't been able to pinpoint this artist. Regards, Tina

Edited by - nycollector on Oct 11 2019 18:13:41
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
774 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  03:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To add to the confusion:

Camille would not seem probable to me: The L's are not tall enough, as indeed the L in Fontainebleau is. The final E would be very different from the other E's. And the R in Lambert would coincide with the one in Foręt.

Though the names 'de Paris' and 'Deparis' do exist as artists' names, I could not see the surname starting with a D, as that letter appears quite differently in the word 'de'.

But both my Lambert and your Camille would seem to have an extra unaccountable letter in the middle.

With illegible French signatures one should also consider the first name to be the surname.

Just my two cents...
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1912 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  10:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two other things which can complicate the analysis:
1. Letters painted with a somewhat soft brush are not as consistent as if written with a pen.
2. Letters in a signature might have a different design than those used for ordinary text.

My first reading of the last part of the “signature” was ”le Juin”, which would point to a title with [something] in June.

I thought that the last letter of the first part of the “signature” should be E, even though it is very different from the other E’s. None of the letters with descenders: g, j, p, q and y, has the descender swirling to the right.

I would really like to crack this one, but no luck yet!

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - Lectures about art
Go to Top of Page

nycollector

21 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  12:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I cannot thank you both enough! I was so happy to receive these expert responses. I'll keep looking ... in light of this new information / leads. Best Regards, Tina
Go to Top of Page

nycollector

21 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  13:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I may be trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.... but could the first line read: Carrefor de l'epine? It's in the region of Fontainebleau. Regards, T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page