Help ID Monogramm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaiser
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  09:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody. Postcard with a picture, 1915. Ink., Help identify the monogram, please. Thanks in advance.

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg

arb

Netherlands
803 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  03:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly worth investigating. But why look for a monogram if the drawing is fully signed E.Janter or similarly and titled 'auf der M...' in Fraktur or Sütterlin? I would sooner suspect the supposed monogram to be a normal seam in the jacket. It does indeed look like a set of initials, but it is drawn as part of the image.

The perfectly correct reading of such a short and for foreigners multi-interpretable signature in Kurrent, deutsche Schrift etc. must first be established not to get carried away in a sea of assumptions. You could ask elderly Germans or submit it to experts like https://www.frakturschriften.de/frakturschrift/ That done, the forum would gladly assist in identifying your draftsman.
Go to Top of Page

kaiser
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  05:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear arb ! Thanks for the help. Maybe you're right. It seemed to me that this is a monogram. But, it can be a seam on a jacket. I had such a version. I thought the drawing style was professional and recognizable. Perhaps someone will immediately recognize the author.
On the other hand, Yantref is not located in Googl and other search engines. Here is a postcard at the back. Here he also appears. The combination of a professional drawing and an unknown name led me to the idea of a monogram on a jacket. The question was born.

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_1948.jpg
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
803 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  09:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please check if the name may read 'E.Jantsch'.

Did you assume the artist has nothing to do with that full name on front and back? Could be true of course, but since it appears to have a title (can you read it? I can't), I gathered it was the artist's signature. That would imply he sent the postcard to himself, hm, not very likely but in wartime Germany not impossible....

If the seam is in fact a monogram, it is one I have never seen the like of.

Go to Top of Page

kaiser
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  11:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Arb.
This is an interesting investigation. Perhaps reading how Jantsch.
Sending a postcard to yourself? I didn’t think about it. Indeed, this is strange.
Unfortunately, I can’t read anything on the postcard. Neither front nor rear. Old font and complex handwriting. You are right, you have to look here in the text
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  12:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like that sketch. Here what I can see or read:

Postcard is sent from Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
E. Jantsch M.... München Kurfürstenstr. 23

"Lieber Jantsch, dieser gut und schr... .... sch..rt .. Zügelklasse sch.... angefangen (?)

Now my wild guess, but dont laugh :-) :
maybe the sender was participant of Munich academy and made this during a course of Heinrich von Zügel who was a professor that time. Maybe the sketch was even made by Zügel. I could imagine, and the monogram could be a HZ.

Regards, Ad
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
803 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  13:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Zügelklasse!! No doubt about it, spot on, I love it !!
Go to Top of Page

kaiser
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  03:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Adrian Thanks for the good version. It will be necessary to investigate this. Perhaps one of the students of Professor Zurel. He himself is unlikely. He has a slightly different style.? Although, everything can be ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page