Help ID modern Spanish inscribed portrait drawing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brooks

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  19:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Large modern Spanish (I think, or Portuguese) drawing "Talento" dated 2001, 100 by 150 cm. It is inscribed along the bottom, though mostly illegibly to me. "Something? 2001 eayd huese febelo kchi y yo los 3 metos di bojantes de leisle". Any clues in there?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w3sEeMiiK7VNx7KaA

Thanks Brooks.

Edited by - Brooks on Mar 13 2020 20:02:19

Coopers

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  00:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brooks,
I think the artist may be Roberto Fabelo. Let me preface the rest by saying that I am hardly a Spanish speaker, but I do live in Florida, and recognized some of the writing immediately. It looks like it says “Cayo Hueso” or Bone Island which was the original name of Key West. Interestingly named as such because of human bones that were found on the shore. Then it says something at the end “de la isla” - of the Island.
Go to Top of Page

Coopers

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  00:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow-up.. although it seems to bear the name Fabelo it seems quite different from Roberto Fabelo’s work and the signature (if it is a signature) is very different to the examples I can find.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2020 :  22:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Coopers, thank you for your help. I too can not match the drawing to any other works by Roberto Fabelo. Though your translation has helped to point the origin of the work towards the Cuban/Key West area.

The next word after Fabelo, is actually "Kcho", not Kchi as I had originally read it. Kcho is the aka name used by another Cuban artist Leiva Machado. But this drawing does not match his work either.

Edited by - Brooks on Mar 15 2020 22:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Brooks

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  02:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit more translated, and the curiosity deepens. The last part "los 3 metos
(possibly mejores) di bojantes de la isla" translates to "the 3 best draftsman on the island".

Edited by - Brooks on Mar 16 2020 02:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Coopers

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  08:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brooks. Well done on that other bit of translation. Now it makes a lot more sense. You just need to figure out who the “yo” is in “Fabelo, Kcho y yo”. Seems increasingly likely that the Cayo Hueso is the neighborhood in Havana.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  23:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"y Yo" is "and Me.

So now we have:

"Something? 2001 Cayo Hueso (Bone Island/Key West) - Fabelo, Kcho an Me, the 3 best draftsman on the island".

I am uncertain as yet if any of these portraits are actually of the two respected artists Fabelo and Kcho. The photographs I can find bear little resemblance to any of these portraits, I guess the man on the left could pass for a younger and much thinner Kcho.

A bit more research still, as now I will see who these two associated or exhibited with at the time in hope to match this work to an artist known to them, And also try to identify the "Something", which I guess will be refer to someplace near Cayo Hueso.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page