New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justinjtm
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on a painting I just purchased. It came out of a NYC estate auction. I was hoping to get some ideas about possibly the origin or age based on the work, dress of the woman etc. I took a chance on this as it came from a nice park ave NYC estate and has a business card attached to the back from an old restoration by a well known restorer in Italy. Itís unsigned but if anyone has any clues to itís possible origin I would be grateful. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Cheers,

Justin

ATTACHMENTS:
6FDE9F18-660C-48C2-A1F8-D64AA0078069.jpeg
DAFDC16F-70DE-4729-ADAE-C150204246EA.jpeg
B175B12A-4F93-4AFA-97CD-741D822E799B.jpeg
E5A9B512-D362-4FF6-93C2-9C87AFA12EBC.jpeg
B603B8A9-82EC-42C0-805F-8293AFC278F5.jpeg

Edited by - justinjtm on Mar 23 2020 18:30:38

angelo

Italy
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  10:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not very expert about old paintings.
I could only tell that the painting seems to be made by a talented painter , but I'm not able to identify the historical period of the painting.
The most important thing is that , seeing your last photo , the painting has been restored by a an artisan that works also for Vatican museums. This states that for sure the painting has a certain economic value.

Regards

Angelo

Edited by - angelo on Mar 24 2020 10:06:55
Go to Top of Page

justinjtm
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  11:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angelo, that was my thought as well. It probably wasnít a low priced restoration unless done as a favor or something of the like therefore I thought itís worth putting in some further research even if unsigned.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
803 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  11:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm... I have in fact learned to distrust restoration notes, especially from world famous restorers who worked for world famous museums rather than private people, on paintings that are not obvious masterpieces that blow us away at first sight. If authentic, such notes would mention/describe the painting by artist's name, measures and subject and contain the restorer's signature.

This painting has probably been sold at least once. Restoration is a negative selling point and dealers, through the ages, have removed all proof of changes executed to cover up imperfections. Buyers are less inclined to buy paintings with a history of holes, cracks and what have you. So why would such a note remain? Usually for another purpose than we assume. And would this crude stamp uniting paper and frame hallmark the work of such a refined master as Colalucci? I find that, well, difficult. Just my two cents...
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
803 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The portrait is lovely, no doubt.
Go to Top of Page

P/K/S

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  12:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try to contact this guy, maybe they keep the records of restoration and description of restored items
I hope that he was connected to that restoration business
https://it.linkedin.com/in/gianluigi-colalucci-b436b483

Edited by - P/K/S on Mar 24 2020 13:03:33
Go to Top of Page

justinjtm
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  13:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arb, You make very good points thank you for your feedback. I did not think about it from this perspective. It may have very well been sold in the past, I have no idea all I know from the information the estate was that it has been in the home since the woman can remember as a young girl who is now middle aged. She had zero idea of where or when her parents would have purchased it anything about the woman nor did she ever like the work which is why it was being sold with others. My question is would portraits like this if done by a quality artist of the time generally have been signed by the artist? I would have figured, unless done by an amateur or local artist?
Go to Top of Page

justinjtm
Average Member

232 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  09:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an update! After some research online and requests for information I was given an old Italian email address that was associated with the restorer on the card, Gianluigi Colalucci, so I gave it a shot. I send a couple pics and the info that I knew on the painting, not expecting a reply and this morning I received this response. Fingers crossed he still has records of the work.

Mr. Justin, good morning. Yes, the "label" with my name is authentic. The red GC circular stamp on the right side proves it. This is a painting that I restored fifty-five years ago. I will look in my archive to see what news I have about this restoration. In a few days I will write to you to give you news. Can I know how you obtained my email address?
Perhaps you already know it, but I inform you that from 1980 to 1994 I restored Michelangelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel and for this reason in 1991 New York University granted me the title Honoris Causa of Doctor of Fine Art.
I wish you good health.
Gianluigi
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  11:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a good story. He also has a facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Artist/Gianluigi-Colalucci-fans-group-183001151790151/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page