Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Antique oil on canvas, Do you know the artist?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2020 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

another antique painting for a research: this time it is an oil on canvas, unframed, size 17 x 11 inches ... as you can see the painting in not in good condition: massive craqueler and bar creases on all sides and yet I think the painting still looks quite appealing (even though it had seen its primetime) ..... The painting is signed bottom right corner ...I think I can make out all the letters of the signature and when I do I get "V. Cauwenberghe" (V must be for Van), sounds like a Dutch artist to me but all I get with this last name are 1-2 artists who do not fit the profile at all (one of them is Robert V Cauwenberghe but he would have been 4 years old when this painting was created). The painting is also dated 1909 and it shows 3 more letters after the signature which are GEO or CEO ..... If somebody can recognize the artist and let me know what those 3 letters mean, I would appreciate your help very much then ....

Thanks again for your time ...
Cyril.

ATTACHMENTS:
belgium_oil_24.JPG
belgium_oil_4.JPG
belgium_oil_1.JPG
belgium_oil_2.JPG

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2020 :  03:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3 letters beyond any doubt read Geo and mean George. Belgian artists often used the surname first, as did their church and their administration. So did some German and French painters. And nearly all Hungarians. The Dutch never ever. So this was painted in 1909 by a Flemish man called George van Cauwenberghe.
Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2020 :  11:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arb,

thank you for interesting facts into the signatures, this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum ...if not about the paintings from my collection I am always learning a great deal of art facts and history no matter whose art work was in questions ..... Thank you very much, indeed!

best,
Cyril.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page