German expressionist art, pls help wit KB monogram
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  01:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And finally, for the last one here we have a German expressionist crayons drawing, that is monogrammed KB in the bottom right corner. Art size is about 6 x 7 inches. It does not look antique but rather is from 1950s or maybe 1960s or maybe I am wrong.

I have searched the monogram database on this forum and the only artist that used KB in very very close way to my drawing was Klaus Bottger (1942-1992). However the auction house records reveal that he mainly had etchings or prints and the good dozen or his works that I went through do not even come close to my image. So my question here is rather to establish if this could be indeed Klaus Bottger or not ....??? Hope somebody has extensive knowledge on this artist works or has access to bigger database to be able to sense if it is in any way related to what Klaus Bottger did and worked with .... could that be his early work then ...??

Thank you for your time looking through my inquiries. Any help is very very much appreciated!

Meanwhile, please be safe and stay healthy!

best,
Cyril.

ATTACHMENTS:
kb_1.jpg
kb_2.jpg
kb_3.jpg
kb_4.jpg

Edited by - cyril on Apr 20 2020 01:14:46

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  03:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't need extensive Bottger knowledge to deduct that the foxing in mat & drawing originates from before his lifetime. The image depicts the poverty and dispair of the thirties in a social-realism that never popped up again after the war.

What we see is a view of an Amsterdam canal. To the right a drawbridge, to the left the high narrow merchant houses. Whoever KB was, he may well have been among the many German refugee artists that found a safe haven in Holland before moving on.

Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  19:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Arb,

you are one to my rescue once again! Thank you very much. I would have never known this was Amsterdam canal. Well, I off to a new hunt for another KB artist now then ...!

regards,
Cyril.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  06:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may well be the thirties state of this precise location, from further back:

https://thumbs.werkaandemuur.nl/1/fe4645b208a51d0764704c934522c8ab/817x600/thumbnail/fit.jpg

The bridge is the 'Magere Brug'.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page