Art Forum
 Beautiful Antique Oil Painting But NOT Signed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2020 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had this old painting for 3 years and always wondering about the artist or the school of art.
Medium: Oil on board
Size: 30" wide by 25" high
Provenance: estate sale
It looks like it has been varnished.

Used google image and the closest I found was a similar painting by John Wainwright The Spinning Wheel. Link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/176414510377996207/
Close style but very slim chance this is by him

It's very frustrating with unsigned paintings to find the artist. I think from the subject matter and the type it's close to John Wainwright style as he has few paintings with dark surrounding like the "Chess players" and the THE spinning Wheel". The painting sizes are similar, But these paintings are oil on canvas.

I am sure the painting has been re-framed. The nails that are attaching the board to the frame are not that old. There are still some old paper attached to the edges of the frame. I attached a picture of that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have done my homework but stuck and need help of some people with expertise on on 18th and 19th century paintings. I think this painting is mid to late 19th century.

Update since first posting:
More pictures added after removed the painting from the frame. Definitely it's an oil on canvas painting. The painting has been trimmed to fit a much later frame.

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg
IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1611.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1615.jpg
JFM - Breaking Flax.JPG
The Winnower.JPG
JFM - Woman Baking.JPG
JFM - Woman sewing by lamplight.JPG
Maternal Care .JPG
JFM - Knitting Lesson.JPG
JFM - The Baby Cereal.JPG
Summer by the Sea.JPG
Washing Day.JPG
Amongst the bent.JPG
Feeding the barn.JPG
Girl filling water.JPG
On the shore.JPG
PIC5.JPG
PIC8.JPG

Edited by - abuadam97 on May 09 2020 10:40:40

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1964 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2020 :  15:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the style has similarities to John Wainwright in any way. Your painting is in a much more loose technique, and the masonite board places it in the 20th century.

It looks to me as depicting country life in an earlier era, with a touch of nostalgia, something I associate with the middle of the 20th century.

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - Lectures about art

Edited by - Vietato on Apr 23 2020 15:32:42
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
836 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  01:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the lower left part of IMG_3988.jpg a textile structure appears to be visible. Is it canvas lined with board?

It is an adorable painting, and certainly by a listed artist. Tell us where you acquired it, that may hold a clue. John Wainwright is indeed out of the question, as Vietato rightly says. In fact, I prefer yours to any Wainwright painting.

It is so clumsily varnished it is almost an insult to the artist. If you can afford it, have it cleaned by a reliable restorer. He may even find a name...
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  09:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for Vietato and arb for the quick replies.

I acquired it at an estate sale around 3 years ago. I looked at the painting with a black light lamp and I saw a couple places where there were some restorations. Maybe after that it was varnished. The repairs looks like they were done by an expert.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
836 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  12:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant in which country did you buy it :) We're pretty international here ...
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  16:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was purchase in Austin, Texas
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2020 :  15:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the what Vietato said about the masonite board, I took my courage and removed the painting from the frame. Lo and behold, the painting was glued to the back of the masonite board. It is oil on canvas.
Unfortunately, the person that did the work did cut part of the bottom of the painting to fit it in the frame and thus might have removed the artist's signature. I am adding more pictures that shows the painting without the frame. Showing the corners.
I still believe that it could be a mid 19th century painting. What do you all think?
Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
How do I add the new pictures? maybe from the first posting ...
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
287 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2020 :  04:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
arb, wouldnt you add it to Hague School? It is a really nice painting, the only thing that hurts is the way the right hand was made. Thats why I dont attribute it to for example Jozef Israels.

Regards, ad

Edited by - Adrian on Apr 26 2020 04:14:39
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
836 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2020 :  05:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Adrian that's funny: I thought of Berliner Sezession, Liebermann. Probably not, then.

But yes, totally true, the subject matter is very much Israels, yet the brush stroke is too boldly firm, thick modern and the young mother to my eye has a slightly erotic girly sweetness we Dutch never dealt in.

One thing most arty people are good at is telling their own country's art apart from foreign art. At first blush this was not a Dutch image to me. The clothes do not fit in any of the national Dutch costumes that I know of from both paintings and real life. The bonnet I would locate in France. Though you see them in films set in the American Founding Father's time too.

The weakly painted hand did occur to me, but I thought I was being overly focussed ànd that it might have been a restoration. The detail-photo now shows the hand is original. But somehow not on all photos equally weak...

It has such a Mary Cassatt-like intimacy I'd say the artist may well have been a woman.

just my two cents...

Edited by - arb on Apr 26 2020 09:26:36
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
287 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  04:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is impossible for me to locate it. Probably not german. I would say continental (north) european. But I dont know anything about (us)-american art. I agree to arb: there is a sweetness in the face of the woman that is rather unusual and against the idea to show the hard life of farmers and fishermen.

The more I look at the painting, the more I dont like some parts: the back part, the feet, the childs face and not to mention the hand. It looks like a copy and I wouldnt be surprised if we find the original.

Sorry, that I am not really helpful. Regards, ad
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  18:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arb and Adrian for your help in insights. Arb mentioned that the Bonnet might be located to France. This has pushed to start thinking about French painters of the 19th century (though this is just a supposition). I came across a painter of the Barbizon school. Maybe it is far fetched to link this painting to Jean Francois Millet but it can be studied. I went over most of JFMillet artworks. I can summarize in few points what see that "might" make sense.
1. Subject occupies large spaces on canvas (The Sower, The Seamstress, Shepherdess, Breaking Flax, ...)
2. Face generalization - idealized
3. Love for Darkness, somber interior, not crowded scenes (The Winnower, Knitting lesson, Laundress, Breaking Flax, Woman Sewing by Lamplight)
3. Rural, agricultural, peasants scenes
4. Tender Scenes of Domestic Life, Farm, Labor
5. Miller was limited but true painter. Issue painting hands (young Shepherdess, the seamstress, ...)
6. Anonymity of subjects - hid their faces. Lot of paintings showing subject from their back or when from face not very detailed. Show roughness, simplicity and gentile style
7. Dignity of the subjects. Farmers or laborers but dignified
8. Painted thickly
9. Several paintings of mother/baby (Maternal Care, Woman Breastfeeding, The Sick Baby, ...)
10) Same Color of skirt in Breaking the Flax painting in blue
11) Most of women wearing some types of Bonnets
12) Limited number of colors in some paintings with black/somber backgrounds
I would love also the involvement of some experts in French painters. I might be on the wrong path but thought to share with you all.
I found that Alexandra Murphy is the leading Millet expert but not able to find a contact to check with her. I am adding some of the pictures of the paintings mentioned above.
Again thanks for all your replies
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  18:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that a lot of paintings of Jean Francois Millet are in US. The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston has a large collection of his work. A lot of the wealthy Americans of the time liked his works. His Brother Pierre traveled to US to generate more sales of his work. Adding this note which might explain this work is his (just dreaming so far. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
287 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  02:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, this is an excellent idea and I can totally understand why you look around Millet and Barbizon school. I hope you will get an answer by one of the Millet experts.

Regards, Ad
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
836 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  03:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fully agree with Adrian.
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1964 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the young mother lacks the typical 'roundness' of Millet's figures, but maybe you should try to contact the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston:
https://www.mfa.org/

It seems Alexandra R. Murphy was behind a big Millet exhibition there in 1984:
https://www.csmonitor.com/1984/0416/041609.html

Regards,
Vietato

Go to Top of Page

charleyfarley

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - May 02 2020 :  08:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I found a similar painting being sold in glasgow for an estimate of £20-£30.

unfortunately not signed.

Regards Charles

ATTACHMENTS:
0f2f0835-59d5-47a6-acf4-aba700f86cd9.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1964 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  10:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting find, Charles.

Both of the paintings presented here must be copies, but I haven't been able to find the original.

I have tried reverse image searches (with the motif only) with different keywords in several different languages. It is very interesting to see how the results will differ according to language and keywords.

I will assume that the painting from the Glasgow auction is closest to the original, since it has more details, especially in the baby's clothing.

Regards,
Vietato

Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent find. Thank you Charles. Can you share the link to check the dimensions or any other info?

This definitely has more details but it could be also another copy of the original. I would imagine that an artwork has to be important or desirable to be copied.

Original artist could be from the UK
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  10:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the one that Charles found, the more I look at it the more I see it as not a refined painting. Look at the light on her cloths and bonnet. The only light in the room is from the fire. The mother's hand is huge. I believe it's a copy made by a less achieved artist.
Anyway, I started searching for Charles's copy in around Glasgow art and auction houses. I stumbled on an artist that "has" similar artworks. Gemmell Hutchinson is Scottish and was very prolific artist (1855–1936). He is well known for his paintings of girls by the sea coast. But he has paintings of woman/baby. Majority of his work shows women and girls with bonnets, maybe the clothing traditions of the time. Some of his paintings depicts girls with not detailed faces or clothing. I am attaching the following pics: Summer by the Sea, Washing Day, Amongst the bend, Feeding the bear, Girl filling water, On the shore PIC5 and PIC8
I am attracted to artwork and I find it exciting looking at 18th and 19th century artworks.
"Hutchison developed a distinctive, broad and vigorous style. He specialized in painting children and genre scenes within interiors" ...
"Hutchison emerged from the 'Scott Lauder' tradition of genre and rustic naturalism, and although a contemporary of the elder members of the Glasgow School his early work was not progressive. He painted interiors with a tendency towards pathos, and had much in common with the Hague School." http://www.haynesfineart.com/
Go to Top of Page

charleyfarley

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  16:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I eventually found it apologize for the delay

Regards Charles

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/mulberry-bank-auctions/catalogue-id-srmul10227/lot-38721e30-6ac8-4c6b-9720-aba700f2ddca
Go to Top of Page

redsoxski

69 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  23:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Copy of Original by Adolph Tideman (Norwegian)

ATTACHMENTS:
Adolph Tideman.jpg
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  19:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks redsoxski.

Can you provide the link to the original or is it the same as Charles's link? I searched the Web for Adolph Tidemand artworks and I couldn't trace any similar painting.
It will be greatly appreciated if you let me know how you attributed the original to Tidemand
Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
287 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  02:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all,

this painting is not by Tidemand. However with redsoxskis photo it was possible to do a reverse search which leads to Bernardus Johannes BLOMMERS (1845-1914). One of the first generation of Hague School (hah! :) )

Regards, ad
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
836 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  02:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dammit, this Adrian guy is right again... The mother is wearing a Katwijk costume, as appears in The Hague School work and prominently in Blommers' work.

Go to Top of Page

Adrian
Average Member

Germany
287 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  02:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, I feel honoured to be recognized by this arb guy :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page