Art Forum
 Please identify artist with signature as monogram
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2020 :  14:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own 2 paintings by the same artist. Artist Signature looks like a monogram. Looking for help deciphering the artist.

Medium: Oil on Canvas
Size: 28" wide by 20" high
Provenance: Estate Sale

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Anybody used
the services of https://artistssignatures.com/ to decipher artist signatures?

Be safe and best greetings

Updates on 10/5/2020: Added new signature picture (signature T W)

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_1746.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1752.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg
Signature T W.jpg

Edited by - abuadam97 on May 10 2020 19:16:10

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  10:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further research at looking at signatures, I found out that the signature is in Hebrew. Anybody there that can read Hebrew or knowledgeable in Hebrew artists. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  01:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a work of art, but a product from a Dutch paintings factory/industry, probably by Jobst Heinrich Frese (1914-1986), one of a clan of copiists/falsifiers. Among them was Jan Kelderman (1914-1990) who put his own name on whatever he could lay his hand on and posed as an artist. It is not difficult to imagine the makers did dozens of these paintings a day. They came to America by the thousands i.a. through a California gallery owned by one Doede Bruinsma. Many of the Paris views were signed M.Soutine, but as most came to the US unsigned, the importers were free to put whatever name they thought would sell. Though the Dutch art world knew, only recently the full story surfaced:

https://www.stadslog.nl/gastbijdrage/jobst-frese-de-stille-vervalser

https://tinyurl.com/y7hfrw9z
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  01:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So these two may be signed equally, they're not by the same maker, just sold by the same dealer. Who made up some signature. And probably made up a bio of a 'well known artist' to go with it.

This shameful page in the book of Dutch art opens during the war when nazi appetite for Dutch and French art grew. As Hitler, Goering and Himmler were ardent collectors, every occupying German from private to general wanted Dutch paintings to send home. Prices sky-rocketed and the buyers hadn't the faintest idea what they bought, so in came the falsifiers with Han van Meegeren being the most well known among them. And very soon they saw that this market wanted bulk, not quality fakes...

After 1945 as Paris views became so fashionable they changed from windmills and bulbfields to Eiffeltowers and Montmartre. We now know a number of signatures, but most painters' real names we do not know as what they made is so interchangeable you cannot tell them apart.

https://www.kunstveiling.nl/items/m-soutinestraatje-in-parijs-olieverf-schilderij/37362
(click on 'Toon item')

Edited by - arb on Apr 29 2020 08:40:13
Go to Top of Page

abuadam97

20 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  19:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arb.
I found out that the artist's initials were T. W. (I uploaded a new pic.)
I flipped the back of the painting and the initials were apparent in Latin letters
I believe what you said, a lot of art was imported to US was manufactured art and signed fraudulently.
The 2 paintings style is different and does not seem to be from the same painter.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  01:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the initials as J.v.W. and if there were a chance they would lead to an artist I would have commented. But I fear it is meant to lead us astray...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page