Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Antique Ink Drawing, can you read signature pls ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - May 03 2020 :  23:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

tonight I am seeking your help with this early 20th century ink drawing that I have owed for many years. I have purchased it from California art dealer about 10-12 years ago. At that time I knew who the artist was but have completely forgotten his name since. I remember he was a well listed artist doing some caricatures and political illustrations for American magazines in early 1920s or 1930s (??) and I believe some of his images were turned into a posters that we all know nowadays.

This is his original ink drawing, featuring a casual scene of (I want to say) NY City downtown ...?? it measures 11.5 x 14.5 inches and was done on hard sturdy paper sheet (that feels more like a thin card) that bears a special stamp for Strathmore manufacturer ...Signed in a lower left corner.

If somebody can read the signature please remind me the name of the artist ...

Thank you very much in advance.

Cyril.

ATTACHMENTS:
ink_drawing_1.JPG
ink_drawing_2.JPG
ink_drawing_3.JPG

angelo

Italy
185 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  09:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signature seems "herman***". I'm not able to find a name.

Angelo
Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  09:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Angelo, and thank you for your input ....Now that I look at the signature I think "herman" does seem to be one way to interpret that ... But I somehow remember it starting with "Ch" ...and ending "sky" or something similar ... I guess that little hook on top of first line was supposed to be a C letter .....I do remember I was able to look through other images of this artist when I knew his last name and was able to google them up and there were some auction results recorded as well ....

Thank you.
Cyril
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1958 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  10:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the direction of Cherniavsky? There are different spellings of that name. The signature looks to be ending in -skij.
https://www.askart.com/artist/Charles_Tcherniawsky/11074300/Charles_Tcherniawsky.aspx

Regards,
Vietato

I am webmaster on this - it is NOT my site: Art Talk - Lectures about art

Edited by - Vietato on May 04 2020 10:21:43
Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  10:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, something very similar to that, Vietato. I came across this Chernavsky artist as well when researching for the name but had to dismiss this particular painter as I did not see anything similar (but rather traditional paintings) and was not able to get to his signature to compare so I thought it was not him ....

I have also contacted that art dealer (this morning) who I purchased it from (he is still in business) ... who knows maybe he can remember the name .....??? I will keep you posted of course if the name does surface up ....

thanks,
Cyril.
Go to Top of Page

arb

Netherlands
835 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  02:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zdzislaw CZERMANSKI (1900-1970)

https://www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/31026/zdzislaw-czermanski-americanpolish-1900-1970-editorial

https://americanart.si.edu/artist/zdzislaw-czermanski-1093

Edited by - arb on May 05 2020 03:43:10
Go to Top of Page

angelo

Italy
185 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  10:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Arb.The signature is the same.

Angelo

Edited by - angelo on May 05 2020 10:46:04
Go to Top of Page

cyril

USA
185 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  16:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is it! That is him! That is the guy! That is the man of the hour! (as you have probably guessed, I was talking about ARB -)

Arb, you have done it again. Thank you. The minute I saw the name you made a reference to, I immediately recognized that last name! You see how this one letter Z made all the difference .... and my frustration grew to a maximum last night when I got a response from that Californian art dealer who responded: Oh, I have never seen this picture before ......!
which he clearly has just forgotten about. It has been 10+ years ago and I know he has a busy traffic of artwork coming in and out his gallery .....

Once again, Thank you Arb!

best,
Cyril.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page