How To Identify Artists Who Only Sign With Intials
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawn
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  00:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, and foremost, thanks to everyone who helped in my search for T. Yamajo.

Now I have an important question that might apply to others who log on to this wonderful forum.

How do you identify or research an artist who only uses their initials on a painting? Certainly there most be a book, site, or other means that one could use. Alas, I am not good at this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

wasbach
Gold Member

Germany
3460 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  05:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shawn,
often it's possible to identify an artist by his initials.
There are many books about these initials (does anyone know a good site?).
But (once again) without seeing your initials nobody can really help you,
because for most of the combinations there exist many artists and therefore many different ways of writing it. nn
Regards
Wasbach

Edited by - wasbach on Jan 17 2008 09:52:08
Go to Top of Page

shawn
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  22:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawn

First, and foremost, thanks to everyone who helped in my search for T. Yamajo.

Now I have an important question that might apply to others who log on to this wonderful forum.

How do you identify or research an artist who only uses their initials on a painting? Certainly there most be a book, site, or other means that one could use. Alas, I am not good at this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

As always, I thank you for your astute and informative information. I would also like to add that I have gleaned an enormous amount of information just by reading your answers to other forum members questions, as well as others who have also answered members questions too! keep up the good work! Shawn
Go to Top of Page

tom0887

195 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  08:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there! There is a site, where you can find monograms and signatures of old masters
It can be useful , I think
I can't make the link , so I write it to you : artarchiv.net
Best regards
Go to Top of Page

tom0887

195 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  08:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.artarchiv.net/ here it is
Go to Top of Page

arthound
Starting Member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  20:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many books dedicated to artist's monograms and signatures. Depending on the nationality of the artist concerned. A few I could recommend are:
The Visual Index of Artist's Signatures and Monograms by Radway Jackson, published by Cromwell publications.
Victoran Painter's Monograms by Peter Nahum, published by W.Foulsham and Company.
Who's Who in Art,Published by the Art Trade Press, England
A Dictionary of Contemporary British Artists, published by Antique Collector's Club.
All of the editions of the E.Benezit Dictionnaire des Peintres Sculptuers Dessinateurs et Graveurs carry examples of the artist's signatures.
Hope this helps, there are many more not listed here but it is a start for you. Arthound.
Go to Top of Page

shawn
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  17:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom0887

Hi, there! There is a site, where you can find monograms and signatures of old masters
It can be useful , I think
I can't make the link , so I write it to you : artarchiv.net
Best regards

Thank you so much Tom. What a fabulous site to visit. I know others will enjoy the information on this site too! In fact, I was able to research another painting of mine. Thank You! Also, a wonderful site is answers.com
I have used this site and found information that google, and other sites did not have listed on theirs. Hope this helps other members too. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

shawn
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  02:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arthound

There are many books dedicated to artist's monograms and signatures. Depending on the nationality of the artist concerned. A few I could recommend are:
The Visual Index of Artist's Signatures and Monograms by Radway Jackson, published by Cromwell publications.
Victoran Painter's Monograms by Peter Nahum, published by W.Foulsham and Company.
A Dictionary of Contemporary British Artists, published by Antique Collector's Club.
All of the editions of the E.Benezit Dictionnaire des Peintres Sculptuers Dessinateurs et Graveurs carry examples of the artist's signatures.

WOW! What an impressive list of titles to research! Thank you so much for posting this! Certainly it will be pt to good use. Thanks Again, Shawn

Hope this helps, there are many more not listed here but it is a start for you. Arthound.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

shawn
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  02:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arthound

WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful information. Most certainly, it will be put to good use. And, because of you, and other forum members, you have given us all valuable information, and a wonderful learning exerience too! Thanks, Shawn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page