Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Can anyone help with info or approx value?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nic
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  11:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Nic:

Hello I hope someone might be able to help me....

I am looking for info about this artist and if there is a possible value to this painting.

It is framed, oil on canvas, about 3' x 4'. The signature is difficult to read, but on the back there was a small piece of paper that said the artist is Titus Georgescu. Here is exactly what it said:

Titus Georgescu
The artist was born on February 7th, 1923 in Produlesti, Rumania. On demand of his father he had to turn to technical studies by already very young he was very interested in drawing and painting and so he devoted himself entirely to painting after he settled in Austria 1945. He studied two years at the International School in Innsbruck under the direction of Prof. Koberl and three years Graphic at the Famous Artists School in Amsterdam. This gave him the basis to work as a free-lance artist. It enabled him to travel to the main European Art-centers which was of course of great importance for his artistic development.

This is an older friend's painting that was on her living room wall for years. Unfortunately, her memory is not what it used to be and she has no idea where it came from - but I am helping her to liquidate some of her stuff to pay for her in-home care.

Any info or suggestions would be most appreciated. I have checked the internet, but have not found anything useful......perhaps I am not looking in the right place.

Thank you in advance for your help. Nicole

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7-2-08 I have attached a photo of the signature.........I do not see any dates. The back is brown paper and I dont think there is anything other than the attached paper that had the artists info on it. I will take a picture of the back and post that sometime this weekend. The paper with the artists info appears to be some type of older photocopy of typed info. Thanks again and more pictures soon.

7-8-08 I have now uploaded the back of the picture. I was wrong about the paper backing! There is a gold sticker on the frame that says:

Meyer Framing and Galleries
518 Westgate Mall
Madison, WI 53711
608-274-3731

And a price tag:
D37
Georgescu
painting only
OH LH
$38.00 marked down from $79.00

This Meyer is no longer in Madison, have no idea what happened to the business.

ATTACHMENTS:
TG painting.jpg
TG signature2.jpg
TG back.JPG

Edited by - Nic on Jul 08 2008 08:56:21

nyart

USA
590 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  20:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nic submit more pictures. Show the back. Is it dated?

nyart
Go to Top of Page

momoekim
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  11:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicole
I bought a 9" x 12" painting at a yard sale about 15 years ago.
It has the same paper on the back with the exact same info, except
my artists name is 'Theodor Gleiche', & he was born on February 7, 1933 and settled in Austria in 1955 Mine also hasa registry no.21-073058/ subject: Landscape, and at the bottom: 10-060574. I have hunted all over for information on this artist but can find nothing. It's interesting that both our artists names begin with a 'T' & a 'G' and they were both born on February 7 but 10 years apart! I'll let you know if I find anything on either artist.
Kim
Go to Top of Page

Vietato
Gold Member

Denmark
1229 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  14:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please bare with me, if I sound a little harsh Nicole and Kim - I don't intend to be rude - but:
It's a crock of baloney: "International School in Innsbruck", "Prof. Koberl", "Famous Artists School in Amsterdam", and if the painting is made by an artist, he hasn't put his real name on it.

But it's somewhat amusing that the reseller only changed the years on the data sheet for another "artist"

Best regards,
Vietato

Edited by - Vietato on Jul 22 2008 14:21:06
Go to Top of Page

Nic
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  08:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim - Thank you for letting me know this. It sure it is interesting that someone seems to have used the same "bio" for both of our paintings! I appreciate your telling me if you find anything out and I will do the same for you!

Vietato - You are not being harsh at all! I do not know very much about art and came to this forum to get more information. If you are saying that the schools and the professor listed on the "bio" are probably bogus, that is helpful. So, thank you for that!

To anyone else reading this: With the little bit of information thus far.........how do I find out this painting's value?

Thank you in advance. Nic
Go to Top of Page

javdotspam
Average Member

295 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  11:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the photo the back of the canvas and stretchers look almost new to me. Is the canvas stretched with tacks or staples?
Go to Top of Page

Nic
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Javdotspam - the canvas is stretched with staples. However, I have seen this painting hanging on my friends wall for at least 35 years.......and I don't remember it ever being taken down for anything... Does that help at all?
Go to Top of Page

TLWilliams
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  06:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately Nic, the painting is of little commercial value. I expect the Meyer people formerly of Madison now have a snug room in San Quentin...
Go to Top of Page

David Peck
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a Gleiche painting for about 7 years it was hanging on an old Italian's wall for 25 years. The paintings name is "lands" the painting # is 1-6-801. It was sold be a company called "Name Brand Warehouse" I have more info if it is needed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page