New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dakota
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  18:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We like this pastel, but have never been able to decipher the artist's illegible signature. It's maybe 40" X 27". Can anybody identify the artist? We'd also be interested in hearing anything about the artistic merits of the painting, since this is not an area in our expertise! WE like it... but how well is it really done? Thank you for taking a look.

ATTACHMENTS:
ResizedImageSeascape1.jpg
ResizedImageSeascapesig.jpg

formfinearts

Canada
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  20:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have to get better pics and closeups of the work and the signature for any reasonable evaluation of the piece. From the pictures that you have on line I could not even confirm that it is a pastel.
Go to Top of Page

javdotspam
Average Member

295 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  23:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it appears to be a pastel under glass see reflections on second picture, as well as paper visible under the foamy crest of wave.
Go to Top of Page

formfinearts

Canada
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  02:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the sake of argument I will let it be a pastel. Can you at least get some good photos of the signature.
The paper size is huge so I have to assume the artist is competent to attempt a work of that size, pastel or not, it does look competent.

Actually I am not saying it is not a pastel. I am saying that you have the advantage of examining the artwork first hand, we on the forum can only rely on the images you supply. The better the images the better we can help.

Edited by - formfinearts on Aug 05 2008 02:31:13
Go to Top of Page

Dakota
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:

Thank you for taking a look at the posting, and I will try to get some better images put up later today.

I am sure that it is a pastel: the old glass was broken and we had it replaced, the framer suggesting and using spacers. You could see faint chalky smudges on the glass, but no real damage to the picture.

I thought it might have some merit because the sand in the foreground looks "wet", and how do you achieve that effect? And I see nice reflections of light on the waves.

I appreciate your comments and will try to take better pictures, especially of that signature, although I'm not sure how much more distinct that will become.

Thanks again and best regards.

Dakota
Go to Top of Page

formfinearts

Canada
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  13:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this as an excellent example of good picture posting
http://forum.findartinfo.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3762
Go to Top of Page

Dakota
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  15:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking another look. I've tried to get better images, with some close-ups. Reflection makes it difficult. The signature is clearer, though.

ATTACHMENTS:
sealeftbottom.jpg
seamiddle.jpg
seaclose.jpg
seasig.jpg
seasharp.jpg
Go to Top of Page

javdotspam
Average Member

295 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a deftly done pastel seascape. Very nice in my opinion, ugly frame however :-( .

Unfortunately the signature is illegible. There's a great post titled "ILLEGIBLY SIGNED" here http://forum.findartinfo.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3702 it should give you some solace.

Regards,
-JR

Edited by - javdotspam on Aug 05 2008 18:23:47
Go to Top of Page

formfinearts

Canada
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  01:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone may eventually recognize the signature. I have tried enlarging it but the distortion makes it even harder to read.
How long have you had it? I am trying to get an idea of age of the work.
It really would be nice if you got a decent picture of the signature. Try taking the picture outdoors in indirect sunlight. Check to see if you have a macro or closeup setting on your camera and of course use it. Also set your camera to the very best picture quality and maximum pixel size for your camera. I know I sound pedantic and slightly sarkish but the artwork is worthy of a decent investigation.

Actually some members do not submit any pics so you are way ahead of the game.

Edited by - formfinearts on Aug 06 2008 01:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Dakota
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  16:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and thank you again for your helpful comments. Just that somebody thinks it has artistic merit and that is worth investigation is intriguing. Regarding the age, I cannot say, other than the glass that was replaced was wavy and had bubbles in it, so at least that much was not recent. And the wavy scrawl of a signature is, unfortunately, already clearer in the posted image than looking at it close-up.

I, who can't draw a decent stick-figure, like to hear artists, or those who know art, break down a piece and describe just what makes it a good composition, what is difficult about the technique used, or any number of those types of things that I don't see in a painting, for example. "Not being able to see the forest for the trees" describes most people, (myself at the top of the list), gazing at art. Aside from discovering the name of the artist, this type of information would also be appreciated.

Best regards, "Dakota"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page