New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charleyfarley

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  09:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have this large oil on board which is signed J HART.The dimensions are 36 x 24 ins.I would like your opinions on whether you think it could have been done by John Joseph Englehart who signed his works by various Pseudonyms ,one of which was J HART.The style and compostion is similiar to his other works...

What do you think?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r138/chas49joan/englehart4.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r138/chas49joan/englehartname.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r138/chas49joan/englehartframe.jpg

Edited by - charleyfarley on Sep 13 2008 09:51:40

wasbach
Gold Member

Germany
3517 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi charley,
after looking at 40 paintings of JOHN JOSEPH ENGLEHART, I would say, the style of your painting is slightly different, a little bit simpler and rougher perhaps.
But the motive really is so very typical for Englehart, that I probably would say, it is painted by JOHN JOSEPH ENGLEHART.
Regards
Wasbach
Go to Top of Page

charleyfarley

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  03:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks Wasbach.
Go to Top of Page

Everyones an art critic

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  17:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I respectfully disagree. Having been to scads of auctions here in the western US, I have likely seen 25 or more Engleharts in person and many more online. This work signed J. Hart is similar only in motif. The palette is not the same and the brushwork is not detailed enough. And bless his heart the man could not paint a landscape without throwing in 10 or more evergreens done with millions of feathery brush strokes. I have never seen an Englehart on board (always oil on canvas). The work does not appear to be of sufficient age. Lastly the paint appears to be applied rather thinly, if anything Englehart tended to go heavy on the paint. Of course this is only my poor opinion, and Lord knows I have been wrong before!
Mary
Go to Top of Page

charleyfarley

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  09:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

Not a problem...everyones opinion is welcome.There are certain aspects of the painting that are similiar to other Engleharts work,What you say is similiar to what Wasbach is saying only different(if you know what i mean).On researching other works i have only came across another one which has been done on panel.The signature is the same although that does not count for anything..

Thanks for your input

Just found a small biography on the artist which would indicate why his work was varied in quality

He was a prolific painter whose paintings varied in quality from very good to staving artist works. He did exhibit at the Lewis and Clark Expo in Portland in 1905 but other than that we have little information on him. Englehardt painted for the tourist trade, mostly mountain views of Mount Shasta, Mount Hood, Yosemite and other natural landmarks. These paintings range from small to 7 foot wide and can often be signed with a variation of his name or an alias. signed by him W. Lemos, a noted California artist. One of these Lemos paintings was traded to an Oakland physician along with a couple of others for medical services rendered. The interesting thing is that the painting does resemble the work of Lemos but the signature is in Englehardt’s script. He was rumored to be an alcoholic, leading to variable quality in his work. He did trade paintings for services such as medical attention and probably bar tabs.

Edited by - charleyfarley on Nov 10 2008 02:53:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page