New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mimillasa
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  14:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased 2 paintings on separate occasions because I have liked the artists style and subject matter. One came from the East of England the other from the East Coast of the USA.
The larger painting measures 75cm by 50cm of artists work being displayed on a Parisian Bridge?
The smaller painting measures 40cm by 30cm.
I have been unable to find any information about the artist or the pictures and would welcome any advice or information please.
I think they might have been painted in the 1960s or 1970s?
Thank you.

ATTACHMENTS:
get-attachment-2.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg

Edited by - mimillasa on Mar 11 2009 12:23:15

wasbach
Gold Member

Germany
3450 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  14:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mimi,
I think you are right to think that your painting is by someone who is (also) known as “Joseph Oliveri”:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Oil-Painting-on-Canvas-By-JOSEPH-OLIVERI_W0QQitemZ280321806289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_Paintings?hash=item280321806289&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
But if you read what is written here about him and then see the price – 29,95 USD – you perhaps understand that there is something wrong with him and his art.
I doubt that an artist with that name really exists, your painting is an “industrial” painting for tourists signed with a fantasy name – without artistic or financial value, I’m sorry.
Regards
Wasbach
Go to Top of Page

bluemlein

818 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wasbach -

have you ever seen a documentary on the chinese "artists" painting on a production line?? one guy does tree trunks all day. . .
Go to Top of Page

mimillasa
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  11:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluemlein

wasbach -

have you ever seen a documentary on the chinese "artists" painting on a production line?? one guy does tree trunks all day. . .

Thanks Wasbach - very helpful. Bluemlein's response was not appreciated and off putting for novices on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

bluemlein

818 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  16:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mimillasa -

if that offended you i'm sorry but you have to keep this in mind, especially these days, when the chinese have enormous industries churning out everything you can imagine. i can steer you to website after website that proudly advertises its chinese artists' capabilities in reproducing art of all schools and all decades, as well as sculptures of all types and sizes. you name the artist and he is being faked, if there is money in it. and it will be done on an assembly line.

moreover, industrial or tourist paintings which people bring back from their holiday have been produced on similar production lines for decades, first in france and italy etc. and more recently in the east.

and if one supposes that this activity is restricted to foreign parts, let me tell you about an art show my husband (and artist) and i attended several decades ago. across from us a well-known artist set up his booth. he had a great reputation and many people envied him his income. the participating artists were vetted, which should have excluded him; we think he was retained because the venue took a 25% commission on all sales.

well, the artist (whose family appears to have followed him into the business) hauled out paintings of five sizes; each contained two or three elements, in combination: an old barn, a milk can, an auto rusting in the grass, a thresher, a clump of birch trees. he priced the paintings according to size. he had his own assembly line which clearly paid very well and required a minimum of thought, composition, etc.

to some people a $129.00 "renoir" approaches the level of a joke. to the artists that paint leaves all day long, for pennies a day, it is a job that puts food on their tables. it is not going to stop and one has to be wary all the time.
Go to Top of Page

artguru
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  11:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold a large, beautiful painting by Oliveri for $1,750 in NYC a few months ago. I wish I never sold it as I thought it was one of his best works. I understand these artists may not be deemed at the top, but also thought this one, just like any other artist, has its own way of expression and distinct brush strokes. I think as long as you can relate to it and see something noone else can, then it surely does have an artistic value, and hence financial...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page