Forgot Password
Change Password

Home | Profile | Login | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username: Password:  
Save Password
 All Forums
 FindArtInfo.com
 Art Forum
 Dutch(?) artist - DM Wythes Any info welcome!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sansome

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  08:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have acquired a pair of paintings, oil on canvas, monotones, both signed D M Wythes 1913. I am pretty sure they are in their original frames which I don’t actually think do them justice at all as these are en grisaille paintings in dark brown wood (stained oak I think) frames which although contemporary to the paintings just don’t look right for the colour.

The only reference I can find to Wythes is that on an art sale site (not this one) and is of a painting being sold in 1998. An oil on oak panel. Is he a ‘known’ Dutch artist? They put him as being a 20th century artist from the Netherlands ( in fact, unless he was a particularly talented 13 year old, he must have been born in the 19th Century)

I can’t find a photograph of the picture that was sold for €1600+ at Drouot Richelieu, Paris but curiously, the title of the painting that was sold, ‘La halte des paysans sur le chemin dans un paysage boisé’ is precisely the same as a painting by the Dutch artist Franciscus Xavery, 1740—1772, and wonder if Wythes was a copyist…or maybe this is a pretty common way of describing a pastoral scene with people, woods etc. ?

Do you think my paintings are Dutch scenes or perhaps just imaginary ones? The house looks vaguely English although the pitch of the roof is very steep.

I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of this artist and what they think of the paintings? Do they have any merit? If I decide not to reframe them and keep them for myself would they justify (and pay for!) a trip to Paris or Amsterdam to sell them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can throw light on this artist.

ATTACHMENTS:
wythes swan painting.jpg
wythes swans detail.jpg
wythes swans tree detail.jpg
wythes cattle painting.jpg
wythes cattle painting2.jpg
wythes cattle detail.jpg
wythes church in cattle painting.jpg
wythes tree detail in cattle painting.jpg
wythes signature.jpg
wythes frame back1.jpg
wythes frame back2.jpg

Edited by - sansome on Sep 07 2010 15:45:13

wasbach
Gold Member

Germany
3584 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  13:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess it's not "Wythes" but "Wythe".
Regards
Wasbach
Go to Top of Page

sansome

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  15:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wasbach. But, in the flesh, it does look like an 's' on both paintings, rather than a 'flourish' (but I can see how you might read it as that) and the surname Wythes does exist.....as indeed does Wythe. Does the possibility of Wythe get me any further forward?
Go to Top of Page

kraDen
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last name is Whythes
Artist is English.
First name Dorothy.
She is realated to my wife whose greatgrandmother was a Wythes (not Dorothy)
Attached is a photo of a picture she painted in 1910 of her "Family" home in Droitwich Spa England.

Cheers
Ken

ATTACHMENTS:
Wythes house.png

Edited by - kraDen on Apr 16 2019 21:05:33
Go to Top of Page

sansome

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  06:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you kraDen! Nearly nine years for another answer and I happened to come in here (after a long absence) just hours after you posted to see your message about your wife's relation. I am assuming you recognised the signature as being the same also? I cant see a signature on your image. The style is rather different so I find it difficult to judge and I guess it is a typo that you spelt it Whythes in your first sentence? Someone bought the swans one even with my uncertainty about the artist but I still have the one with the cattle.
Go to Top of Page

angelo

Italy
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  07:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patience is a great skill.

Angelo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: