New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tedzwedz
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have recently torn a School of the Pre Raphaelite's picture which has been in the family for several generations when it fell off the wall following the string snapping.

The tear is pretty large, the painting standing about 4ft high.

Regarding the frame, it was not perfect before and does not necessarily have to be perfect again, having patina, having said that, it is handmade/carved for the picture like a lot of arts and crafts and pre raphaelite pictures were.

We are not sure regarding the artist sadly, what we DO know is that it was painted for my Gt Grandmother Irene Smedley-Aston (nee Lewis) as the caption at the bottom says "To Irene, from an admirer in her youth"!

The Initials of the artist are GR/RG, I do not know who it is though (see pictures above). She was painted a lot by the Gaskins, Joseph Southall, Maxwell Armfield (whose wife Constance Smedley was 1st cousin) as they were all friends, her husband William Smedley-Aston was a famous early photographer.

I am trying to track down the painter! Can anyone help?!

Kind regards

Edward

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_3187ss.jpg
IMG_3183s.jpg
IMG-20120825-00550s.jpg
IMG_3174ss.jpg
IMG_3175ss.jpg

noggie

Canada
133 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this site, I think the monogram is there.
http://www.artistssignatures.com/monograms.php?page=2&letter=r
Go to Top of Page

Adrian

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  15:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt check the website noggie mentioned, but the dictionary of monograms. The monogram looks like Walford Graham Robertson. If this is possible or not I cannot say. Lets wait for TLWilliams :)

Attached The Actress Sarah Bernhardt in Her Salon, 1889

ATTACHMENTS:
rg.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Ercole
Average Member

Italy
367 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  12:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Monogram of Walford Graham Robertson is different
http://www.leicestergalleries.com/19th-20th-century-paintings/d/collection-of-14-illustrations-for-a-childrens-book/15565

Fausta
Go to Top of Page

Adrian

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  12:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Fausta, yes, I noticed he signed with different monograms. I refer to http://books.google.de/books?hl=de&id=1VjIubFY9qsC&q=RG#v=snippet&q=RG&f=false though. Please check RG 487 and page 1011. More interesting is if the style could fit.

Ad
Go to Top of Page

Ercole
Average Member

Italy
367 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  17:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have compared the signature for wide, as this appears on others his paintings, with the sentence of the dedication: it seems written by him. Also the palette of the colors seems that correspond. Also the taste of the painting.
Canvas needs a careful restauration. I don't understand well if the center of the canvas misses.
The subject of the painting is a kind that for a lot of time has been neglected from the collectors. Frame seems of the end of the 19 century, contemporary to the painting.

Fausta
Go to Top of Page

tedzwedz
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  06:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Guys, thank you very much for your help with this, I am interested in the Walford Graham Robertson suggestion, it would be around the time.

As you will see from one of the pictures the artist knew my great grandmother well as he refers to himself as an admiror from her youth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Smedley-Aston

Background information regarding the collection we gave to Birmingham Art Gallery:-
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Lib-Central-Archives-and-Heritage%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092755418&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper

I wonder if the picture has much value (apart from sentimental) and if restoring it will decrease this?

ATTACHMENTS:
IMG_3183s.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Adrian

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  07:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt restoring will decrease the value as the painting is in a pathetic state :-) I am sure you have already checked findartinfos hammer prices: http://www.findartinfo.com/search/listprices.asp?keyword=11450&name=Walford-Graham-Robertson. So the range is around several hundreds to thousands for a restored painting. I hope TLWilliams can lead you to a careful and experienced restorer.

Greetings Ad
Go to Top of Page

Ercole
Average Member

Italy
367 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  13:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A painting, also beautiful and interesting as this, but reduced under so precarious conditions, it is not marketable, because who hardly purchases it, succeeds in appraising the expenses and the final result of the restauration. But if you decide to hold it in your house, you can also decide to make to glue the edge of cloth torn, and to leave the painting as is.

Fausta
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Ask About Art © Findartinfo.com Go To Top Of Page